Good morning! I’m feeling good this morning – it’s Friday, it’s not –10 degrees (mid 30’s = heat wave), and I dragged myself out of bed this morning for a run and was rewarded with this view. As always, SO worth it, both for the view and of course for how great getting in a morning run makes me feel for the rest of the day.
My friend Sokphal and I have settled into a nice little Friday morning run date routine and it was great to see her again this morning! She had 10 miles on the docket for marathon training; I was aiming for about 6, so she planned to fill in the extra miles after. At 6:30 a.m. we met up, ready to go!
It was a clear and not at all windy morning, so we decided to do a nice out and back run along the water on the Mt. Vernon Trail, which would give us nice views of the rising sun.
The run flew by as we chatted away. Man, running buddies are the best. :) Blurry action shots:
Before I knew it we had turned back and were conquering the hill of death. That hill always sucks, but it’s a little better with a buddy huffing and puffing by your side. :)
- Mile 1: 8:22 (downhill)
- Mile 2: 8:23
- Mile 3: 8:34
- Mile 4: 8:37
- Mile 5: 8:51
- Mile 6: 9:07 (uphill)
Great run! 6 miles with an average pace of 8:39 minute/miles.
As for my weekly workout recap, here it is!
- Saturday: 18 mile LA Marathon training run
- Sunday: 1 hour yoga class @ Edge Yoga – I tried a new (to me) class, the 9 a.m. Yoga 1 taught by Rebecca, and I LOVED it. You guys know I really love Mark’s classes, but Rebecca was great too! Since it was a Yoga 1 class it was a little slower and less intense, but still a great flow/stretch. Perfect for what I was in the mood for post long run!
- Monday: 35 minute swim (alternating breaststroke/freestyle/backstroke) – swimming feels sooo good on tired running legs.
- Tuesday: Rest day
- Wednesday: Freezing rain meant I took my workout indoors: 4 mile treadmill run + plank burner from Gina that’s part of the Winter Shape Up
- Thursday: Tried out a new 1 hour strength & conditioning class they started offering at NOVA MMA as part of the women’s kickboxing program – it’s basically a cross between CrossFit and boot camp – more weights focused but not involving Olympic lifting. I loved it! My arms are definitely sore today!
- Friday: This 6 mile run :)
I’ve got a 16 miler on the docket tomorrow for LA Marathon training. Hoping to make it a good one, even though the weather is looking rather vile (snow again – boo)!
Have a great weekend, my friends, and if you’re participating in the Winter Shape Up, be sure to check back later today – I’ll be sharing links to the week 3 meal plan + grocery lists soon on the main WSU landing page! Gina and I have been LOVING seeing all your #WinterShapeUp updates on social media and in our private Winter Shape Up Facebook group – please keep them coming! You guys are inspiring. :)