These crispy baked salmon bites are easy to make in the oven and so delicious! They’re tender on the inside and crunchy on the outside, with the perfect amount of flavor.
Enjoy these salmon nuggets on their own, or serve them with your favorite dipping sauce. They’re absolutely delicious with this homemade yogurt honey mustard sauce!
These can be served as an appetizer, lunch, dinner, or even snack. 🙂 You do you!
Salmon Nuggets with Honey Mustard Sauce
Did anyone else eat fish sticks a lot as a kid? I used to LOVE fish sticks but haven’t eaten them in years. These give me major fish stick vibes, but in a way more delicious way. 😉
These salmon bites have a seasoned, light breadcrumb coating and are baked to golden perfection. They get super crispy on the outside for a delicious crunch – that crunch is key, in my opinion!
Herbs and dijon mustard make them super flavorful, but they also pair wonderfully with dipping sauces.
This recipe uses a bake-then-broil method – it’s the easiest way to get super crispy, golden brown nuggets without having to pan-fry anything (or toast the breadcrumbs in a separate pan).
Letting the salmon nuggets bake, then flipping them so the oiled side can get crispy under the broiler without dirtying another pan makes all the difference! This way, there’s less mess, but still tons of crunch without overcooking the salmon (because tough salmon is just not cool).
Plus, salmon is super nutritious: it’s high in protein, potassium, and a wide array of vitamins. It’s also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which improve heart health.
The whole family will love these kid-friendly salmon bites!
Sidenote: you (and the fam) might also like these crispy baked chicken tenders!
To make these crispy salmon bites, you’ll need:
- salmon filet cubes
- Panko breadcrumbs (plain/unflavored)
- all-purpose flour (this helps hold the breading together)
- dijon mustard
- spices & herbs (onion powder, granulated garlic, dried parsley, and dried dill)
You can easily switch up the seasoning in the breading mixture if you want!
I love the dill/parsley combo, but you can also substitute 2 teaspoons of any salt-free seasoning blend for the herbs and spices here. For example: Italian seasoning, cajun seasoning, garlic-herb seasoning, etc.
You can also just stick with the onion powder and granulated garlic if you want, too!
How to Make Salmon Bites in the Oven
Start by slicing your salmon filets into 2-inch cubes.
Then, place three shallow bowls on the counter. Add flour and salt to one, egg and dijon mustard in the second, and panko breadcrumbs plus the seasonings/herbs/salt in the third.
Coat each salmon cube in the flour mixture, making sure to shake off any excess. Then, coat in the egg mixture. Lastly, press into the breadcrumbs, coating all the way around. (It helps to keep one hand dry for this step).
Place breaded salmon cubes in a single layer on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. (Spray it with cooking spray or drizzle it with olive oil first, so the nuggets don’t stick once they’re baked).
Bake for 10 minutes. Then, turn off the heat and take them out of the oven.
Now here is the key for that crispy outside – do not skip this step!
Switch the oven to broil. Flip all the nuggets over (so the oiled side is facing up) and then put the pan back in the oven and broil for 2-3 minutes, until golden and crispy.
Remove from the oven and serve with your favorite dipping sauces!
Homemade Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
Looking for a homemade dipping sauce to make? This yogurt honey mustard sauce is creamy, a little sweet, and a little tangy – the best combination! Plus, it’s super quick and easy to throw together.
Just combine plain Greek yogurt, honey, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, and salt in a small bowl. Stir until well-mixed, then serve on the side for dipping! (See link above for full recipe amounts/details.)
What to Serve with Salmon Bites (Side Dish Ideas)
Here are some side dish ideas for these baked salmon nuggets:
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries (these would also be delicious dipped in the homemade honey mustard sauce)
- Crunchy Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Herb & Garlic Roasted Vegetables
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad (you could even throw the crispy salmon bites on top!)
- Crunchy Apple Slaw with Cabbage
- Miso & Honey Roasted Brussels Sprouts
These will be a hit with kids and adults alike. 🙂 Enjoy!
More salmon recipes to try:
- Orange Glazed Salmon with Honey & Ginger
- Lemon Dijon Sheet Pan Salmon Dinner
- Salmon with Lemon Mustard Dill Sauce
- Roasted Salmon with Watermelon Salsa
- Baked Pesto Salmon with Veggies
Crispy Baked Salmon Bites
Crispy oven baked salmon bites are easy to make and so delicious! These salmon nuggets are tender on the inside and crunchy on the outside.
- 1 lb salmon filet, skin removed
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- olive oil or cooking spray, as needed
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the salmon filet into approximately 2-inch cubes.
- Arrange three shallow bowls. In one bowl, whisk together the flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In the second bowl, whisk together the egg and dijon mustard. In the third bowl, stir together the panko, granulated garlic, onion powder, dill, parsley, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Coat each piece of salmon in flour, then shake off excess flour and coat in egg, then in breadcrumb herb mixture, patting to press in the breadcrumbs. It's easiest to do this with one "dry hand," which handles the flour and breadcrumbs and one "wet hand," which handles the egg.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Drizzle lightly with olive oil or spray with cooking spray and arrange the breaded salmon pieces in a single layer without touching.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and remove the pan from the oven. Set the oven to broil.
- Flip the nuggets over so the oiled side of the breading is facing up and broil for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- Optional: serve with this homemade honey mustard dipping sauce.