This shaved brussels sprouts salad is the ultimate fall side dish!
Studded with apples, dried cranberries, and pecans and drizzled with the most delicious dressing, you’ll want to make this tasty salad over and over again.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, I'll send you great content every week!
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
This salad is crunchy and satisfying with a great balance of sweet, salty, tangy, and nutty flavor.
It would be perfect as a fall side dish for a simple weeknight dinner, or even as an impressive (but easy) side dish for Thanksgiving. I’ll definitely be making it all fall!
It’s easy to make ahead of time, and without the need for any cooking, it’s really quick!
You basically just shred the brussels sprouts, chop up some apples and pecans, toss all the ingredients into a large bowl, whisk together the dressing and drizzle it over the salad.
Simple as that! So many delicious fall flavors all in one dish. Believe me: anyone who thought they didn’t like brussels sprouts will quickly become a convert. 🙂
Brussels Sprout Salad Ingredients
To make this scrumptious shaved brussels sprouts salad, you’ll need:
- brussels sprouts (You can find pre-shredded brussels sprouts at most grocery stores, or you can shred them yourself. See instructions in the next section.)
- dried cranberries
- apples (any type will work)
- fresh parmesan
And for the dressing:
- olive oil
- fresh parsley
- whole grain dijon mustard
Dried cherries or other dried fruit would also be great in this, as would any other sharp, salty cheese like pecorino. Similarly, you can use any type of nut (like walnuts or almonds).
How to Shred Brussels Sprouts
Shredding brussels sprouts (also known as shaving) is easy! It’s all about how you cut them.
To easily shred them, first cut them in half lengthwise, and cut off the hard base stem (it’s usually pretty bitter tasting).
Then, place the cut side down on a cutting board and cut the brussels sprout half into thin strips. Continue until all sprouts have been shredded. That’s it!
What to Serve With This Salad (Main Course Ideas)
This salad makes a perfect potluck dish, but of course it’s a great side dish, too! It would go great with lots of mains, like:
- roast turkey or chicken
- Garlic Sheet Pan Chicken and Veggies
- grilled or roasted salmon (try my Super Easy Baked Salmon with Lemon!)
- Feta Stuffed Chicken Breast with Cherries & Kale
- seared steak
- Sage Butter Pasta with Chicken Sausage
- grilled or baked tofu
You can also toss in some protein, like chicken or tofu, and make it a meal on its own. Perfect for fall lunch meal prep.
The crunchy apples, tart cranberries, crispy pecans, salty cheese, and tangy dressing combine perfectly with the savory brussels sprouts. It tastes so good, you almost forget how simple it is to make!
You’ll find the full shaved brussels sprouts salad recipe at the end of this post. I hope you enjoy this fabulous, flavorful salad as much as we have!
Looking for more fall-inspired side dishes? Check these out:
- Baked Buttercup Squash with Goat Cheese
- Healthy Mashed Sweet Potatoes (Spiced)
- Fall Harvest Salad with Watermelon
- Savory Sweet Potato Casserole
- Vegan Cranberry Quinoa Salad
- Leftover Turkey & Wheat Berry Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette
- Pumpkin Quinoa
- Healthy Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower
For the salad:
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons whole grain dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, grated or crushed in a garlic press
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl or jar, combine all dressing ingredients. Stir or shake to combine.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Enjoy!
If making ahead, wait to put the dressing on until right before you're ready to serve. This keeps the salad from getting soggy.