These vegan chickpea patties with lentils are some of the best veggie burgers I’ve tried! They’re super flavorful, deliciously seasoned, and packed with fiber and protein.
Serve with buns (or wrapped in lettuce), your favorite toppings, and a tasty side dish (may I suggest these baked sweet potato fries?) for a healthy and crave-worthy meatless meal!
Chickpea Veggie Burgers
These patties are like a cross between a burger and Mediterranean falafel. They pack a lot of goodness – both flavor and nutrient-wise – and go great with a ton of toppings and/or sides.
They’re baked, too, so you don’t need to cook them individually or watch them while they cook, like you normally do with burgers. Once the patties are formed, you just toss them on a baking sheet and bake!
One of my favorite ways to enjoy these: on top of greens with salsa (a great gluten-free option!), or in a bun or pita with greens, avocado, and hot sauce.
Lentil Chickpea Patties Ingredients
To make these patties, you’ll need:
- lentils (either dry lentils, cooked according to the package directions, or pre-cooked canned lentils)
- canned chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans)
- mushrooms (any kind you like!)
- olive oil
- ground flaxseed
- dijon mustard
- tomato paste
- chili powder
- cooked brown rice (I like to use 90-second microwave rice to save time)
And of course, any toppings or sauces you’d like! I’ll share some ideas later in the post.
How to Make Chickpea Patties
Making these veggie burgers is simple! All you need is a food processor and a sheet pan.
Start by preheating your oven to 375. Next, toss chickpeas, garlic, mushrooms, and olive oil into your food processor. Process for 30 seconds, until mostly uniform.
Put the mixture in a large bowl, then add the rest of the ingredients (including the cooked lentils). Mash with a wooden spoon (or your hands) until the ingredients are well-mixed and evenly distributed.
Next, use your hands to form the mixture into 6 patties, roughly the same size. Grease a baking sheet and place patties on top. Bake for 10 minutes, flip the patties, then bake for 10 more minutes.
Add toppings and/or your desired sauces, and enjoy!
What to Serve With Veggie Burgers
I thought I’d share some inspiration for how to dress up your veggie burgers, because there are so many yummy options!
Here are ideas for sauces to use:
- Dijon mustard
- Tzatziki sauce
- Sriracha crema (sriracha + Greek yogurt mixed together)
And some topping ideas:
- Greens (spinach, butter lettuce, arugula, etc.)
- Cucumber slices
- Cheese (swiss, mozzarella, feta, any kind you like!)
- Red or white onion
- Grilled bell pepper
- Sauteed mushrooms
And lastly, some tasty sides to serve with these veggie burgers:
- Vegan Kale Caesar Salad
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Lemony Quinoa Salad with Spinach
- Crunchy Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Zesty Italian Pasta Salad
- Herb & Garlic Roasted Vegetables
You’ll find the full vegan chickpea patties recipe at the bottom of this post. Enjoy!
Let me know how you like it by tagging me @fANNEtasticfood on social media, or by commenting on this blog post.
If you liked this, you might like these other easy veggie-packed vegetarian meals, too!
- Mexican Black Bean Spinach Burgers
- Sriracha Tofu Stir Fry
- Baked Portobello Mushrooms with Feta
- Lemony Spinach Quinoa Bean Salad
- Black Bean Vegan Burgers with Pumpkin
- Baked Sesame Tofu with Veggies
- 1 cup canned cooked lentils, drained and rinsed (or about ½ cup dry lentils, cooked according to package instructions)
- 1 cup chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 5 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (I used 90 second rice)
- Cooking spray to grease baking sheet
Preheat oven to 375.
- Add garbanzo beans, garlic, mushrooms, and olive oil to food processor and process 30 seconds until somewhat uniform. Remove mixture and put in a large bowl.
- Add cooked and drained lentils and all other ingredients to the bowl. Mix and mash until contents are evenly spread out.
- Form mixture into 6 patties and place on greased or sprayed cooking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.