Hello my friends! It’s been a busy week over here trying to cram in all sorts of work because we leave tomorrow afternoon for another trip – our annual week long beach vacation with Matt’s family in the Outer Banks! I know, I’ve been insanely spoiled with fun trips and vacation lately… everything ended up getting scheduled right around the same time! I’ll be working remotely a bit next week but trying to do everything I can in advance!
And now – here are some of my favorites from this week!
I whipped up a batch of my Oatmeal Raisin Energy Bites (<—recipe) earlier this week for me and Matt to snack on – yum! I followed the recipe except I nixed the ground flaxseed (saving it for my Flour Free Breakfast Pancakes!) and tripled the amount of peanut butter because PB is awesome. They came out great!
I’ve also been loving toast with mashed avocado and sauerkraut on top as a snack – sounds weird, but it’s good if you like sauerkraut! Try it!
One last fave: the grass fed bison burger with kale salad and sweet potato hash from True Food Kitchen. I had a fun dinner there last night with my high school friend Lara and this hit the spot!
I had a request to bring back my workout week in review feature to share more details about my Marine Corps Marathon training, so here we go! I just started training officially last week. 🙂
- Monday: Tennis with Matt! We’ve been playing a few times a month lately and loving it! We took advantage of the holiday and went out late morning – we got drizzled on a bit but nothing crazy.
- Tuesday: Lunchtime yoga class at Epic Yoga in Dupont via ClassPass (<— affiliate link for $30 off your first month) with my college friend Sarah.
- Wednesday: Another ClassPass adventure – early morning boot camp at Urban Athletic Club in Georgetown with Kathleen and Chelsea.
- Thursday: Track workout! This was a tough one but I felt surprisingly strong, especially given the INSANE humidity. We did four rounds of the following: 1200’s (3 laps around the track) – first two laps at a steady threshold pace, last lap with an extra kick of speed. Whew!
I did less running than usual this week (normally I run twice during the week, then once on the weekend) but I did a ton of cardio on my Oregon trip (about 10 miles of hiking Thursday, 4 mile run Friday, 10.4 mile run Saturday) so I didn’t want to overdo it! I’m planning to do another ClassPass adventure today (yoga at Edge Yoga), and to do a long run (10 to 12 miles) tomorrow before we leave town. Sunday will be a rest day! As for the beach, I’m planning to get in a couple shorter runs, one longer run (hopefully 10 miles), and a yoga class or two.
One of my clients gifted me with this book, “Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life” recently and I’ve been absolutely loving it. Such beautiful writing – he really paints a picture with his words. I’ve been reading a little bit before bed every night and am almost finished!
I’ve also been reading (well, listening to on Audible while I take walking breaks or commute to/from the metro) “Daring Greatly” by Brene Brown. I love everything she writes and I’ve been meaning to read this book for ages! I find I prefer lighter reading before bed, so I have all these professional development/work-related books on my list that I never get to because I’ve just been reading my “fun” books to relax before I go to sleep. Downloading the books and listening to them while I’m out walking and commuting is perfect, though – that’s when I love listening to the more intense/educational stuff!
On the topic of professional/personal development, I also wanted to give a shout out to a book written by a fellow northern Virginian that I met recently at a female entrepreneur group meeting in Arlington – she wrote a book called “Career Grease: How to Get Unstuck and Pivot Your Career.” I have gotten a ton of emails from blog readers over the years who are debating changing careers and following their dreams so I thought this book, which has been getting rave reviews on Amazon, was worth sharing!
I’ve got a bunch of calls today – better tackle my email inbox beforehand! Have a great day and an awesome weekend, my friends!
What was the most delicious thing you ate this week? Best workout?
Around the web:
- Eat: How to Prep 5 Healthy Dinners // Smoked Salmon Sliders // The Easiest Chicken Fajitas // Sweet Potato Protein Breakfast Bowl // Alphabet Pesto Veggie Omelet // Coconut Flour Banana Bread // Greek Lentil Potato Salad // Kale Chicken Burrito Bowl // Pesto Shrimp and Potato Kebobs
- Think: The Only Cleanse You Need: A Social Media Cleanse