This creamy smashed avocado toast is made extra tasty topped with tangy goat cheese, bright lemon, and peppery arugula.
It’s a super quick, healthy snack or light meal that requires zero cooking (aside from toasting a piece of bread). So basically, it’s the ultimate easy snack recipe!
Goat Cheese Avocado Toast with Arugula
Anyone else a huge avocado toast fan?
I can definitely get behind a snack that only takes 5 minutes to make – especially when it’s so nutritious! Plus, you only need a handful of ingredients and you can use basically any type of bread you have on hand.
This recipe is super versatile. I’m sharing some more topping ideas for this toast further down in the post, so you can switch it up as much as you like!
There are only a few ingredients to make this, but the key is the perfectly ripe avocado.
A couple tips: your avocado should have a little give when squeezed, but not too much.
Overripe avocados are soft and often have brown spots in their flesh once you cut into them. Underripe avocados will be hard and difficult to cut open.
That said, to make this smashed avocado toast, you’ll need:
- bread: The sky’s the limit when it comes to bread! You can use sourdough, french bread, seedy sandwich bread, challah, brioche, bagel, gluten free bread… the list goes on. I can’t imagine a type of bread that wouldn’t taste good here.
- avocado: Again, make sure it’s ripe but not TOO ripe!
- goat cheese: This adds a creamy texture and a bit of tanginess to your avocado toast.
- lemon: A squeeze of lemon really makes the flavors pop. (This is optional, but recommended!)
- black pepper (just a little, to taste)
A note on the greens: I love the addition of greens here to add a pop of color and a unique texture (plus some extra nutrients)!
You can swap the arugula out for spring mix or baby spinach if you prefer, but I especially love the flavor combination of arugula and goat cheese because the arugula is so peppery and has a little bite, which goes well with the creamy goat cheese.
Feel free to add a fried egg on top for extra protein, if desired! You might also enjoy this whipped ricotta toast.
How to Make Smashed Avocado Toast
Start by toasting your bread. You can either do this in a toaster, toaster oven, or regular oven (bake on a sheet pan for 5-8 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit).
Next, mash up the avocado in a small bowl. Spread over toast, then add toppings: arugula, goat cheese, a squeeze of lemon juice, and freshly ground black pepper.
That’s it: you’re ready to dig in!
Other Topping Ideas
Some other toppings that would be delicious here:
- fried egg or soft-boiled egg
- other cheeses like ricotta or feta
- red pepper flakes (for a little heat)
- fresh herbs like chives
- pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
Check out these 11 other tasty avocado toast topping ideas for more flavor combinations!
I hope you love this easy snack as much as I do! You’ll find the full smashed avocado toast recipe at the end of this post.
Looking for more yummy avocado recipes? Check these out:
- Strawberry Avocado Toast with Balsamic Glaze
- Avocado White Bean Hummus with Lemon
- No Mayo Egg Salad with Avocado
- Avocado Feta Toast with Chickpeas
- Savory French Toast with Herbs & Avocado
- Avocado Crema with Lime
What’s your go-to quick afternoon snack? Let me know in the comments!
- 1 slice of bread
- 1/2 an avocado (mashed)
- 2 Tbsp goat cheese (crumbled)
- Handful of arugula
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- Toast bread to your liking.*
- In a bowl, mash avocado with a fork until mostly smooth. Spread over toast.
- Add arugula, goat cheese, and a squeeze of lemon. Optional: grind black pepper on top. Then, enjoy!
*If using an oven to toast the bread, bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-8 minutes, until golden.