Sometimes a little sauce makes a BIG difference, and this homemade avocado crema is testament to that! It adds a ton of flavor (plus a creamy texture) to any Mexican-inspired meal.
From burrito bowls to breakfast tacos, a dollop of this crema will elevate any dish. And it’s super easy to whip up, too – just 5 ingredients, and no cooking required!
Homemade Avocado Lime Crema
I’m a big believer in homemade sauces, dressings, etc. versus store-bought (as long as they’re reasonably easy to make!).
If you make something yourself, you know exactly what’s in it – there are no hidden preservatives or additives – and most importantly homemade sauces often taste better!
Of course, this isn’t always doable, but I’m happy to say that in the case of avocado crema, it is – it’s super quick and easy!
It just takes a few minutes with simple ingredients and lots of delicious flavor. It even keeps for days in the fridge, so you can enjoy it all week long!
Love avocado? Check out these tasty & healthy avocado recipes!
You only need 5 ingredients to make this avocado crema:
- avocado (Make sure it’s ripe! It should give a little when squeezed, but not too much. If there are brown spots when you open it up, it’s probably too ripe. And if it’s difficult to cut open, it isn’t ripe enough.)
- plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lime (juiced)
- fresh cilantro
- jalapeno (This is optional – gives it some spice. Leave out the seeds if you only want a little heat, or leave them in if you like your crema spicy!)
Feel free to add salt, pepper, and/or even garlic powder to taste.
How to Make Avocado Crema
All you need to make this crema is a blender or food processor!
Blend (or puree) all the ingredients together until smooth. Add water in small increments until it reaches your desired consistency (i.e. how drizzly you like it!).
If you’re not a fan of cilantro, just leave it out!
And if you don’t like your sauces too spicy, make sure to leave out the jalapeno seeds.
Once blended, this avocado lime crema should last for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Be sure to store it in an airtight container. It keeps longer if you press plastic wrap over the sauce inside the container to completely remove any air.
Meal Ideas for Avocado Crema
The possibilities for ways to use this avocado crema deliciousness are endless, but here are some ideas to get you inspired:
- Veggie Breakfast Tacos
- Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas or Walnut Mushroom Enchiladas or Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas
- Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos or Grilled Pork Tenderloin Tacos (<–this recipe features a homemade salsa verde that’s equally delicious – but you can’t go wrong with two sauces, either!)
- Quinoa Taco Salad
- Crockpot Mexican Chicken or Instant Pot Mexican Chicken
Now that you have this tasty homemade crema in your arsenal, you’ll never miss the store-bought stuff again!
It’s so good, you can also eat it as an appetizer/dip with tortilla chips. Or even stir some into a bowl of chili. It really is quite a versatile sauce. 🙂
You’ll find the full recipe at the end of this post. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Looking for more tasty dip recipes? Check these out:
- Avocado White Bean Hummus with Lemon
- Spicy Queso Dip with Hummus
- Savory Pumpkin Dip
- Healthy Seven Layer Taco Dip
- Vegan Artichoke Dip with Kale
- 1 ripe avocado, pit and skin removed
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno (optional) - seeds removed for a milder crema
- 1-2 tablespoons water, as needed
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, adding a tablespoon of water at a time, if needed, to thin the mixture to your desired consistency.
Feel free to add salt, pepper, and/or garlic powder to taste. For a milder crema, leave out jalapeno seeds.