I’ve got a fun new recipe for you guys today: Savory French Toast!
If you’re a fan of regular french toast but want to mix it up, then give this a try! It’s basically regular french toast minus the sugar and cinnamon, plus some herbs and seasoning (and with savory toppings).
Avocado French Toast with Arugula
This is a great brunch recipe to serve to a crowd, especially if you have a griddle that can handle a bunch of slices of bread at once.
I highly recommend serving it with a fried egg on top. Or, for a crowd, you could do a big batch of soft boiled eggs for less hands-on time for the cook.
It’s a perfect fancy breakfast or brunch idea that’s actually easy to make!
Another idea is to use this savory french toast as the base for a more fancy/flavorful avocado toast! For topping ideas, see my Avocado Toast Recipes blog post. 🙂
Savory French Toast Ingredients
This savory french toast is simple and easy to make! And, you can make it with ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Here’s what you’re working with ingredient-wise to make this easy savory french toast:
- bread (feel free to experiment with different types!)
- fresh parsley
- fresh thyme
- garlic powder
And for the toppings, it’s up to you! I like fried eggs, avocado slices, arugula, and crumbled goat cheese or feta.
How to Make Savory French Toast
Start by whisking your milk, eggs, parsley, thyme, granulated garlic, salt, and pepper together in a shallow dish.
Working in batches, dip bread slices in egg mixture and let soak for about 30 seconds per side. (Just like regular french toast, but with a different mixture).
Next, transfer the soaked bread to a nonstick pan or griddle over medium heat (with a little butter or oil to grease it). Cook for about 2 minutes per side, until the french toast is browned and the center of the bread springs back when pressed.
Lastly, add your toppings and serve. That’s it!
You’ll find the full savory french toast recipe at the bottom of this post. Enjoy!
If you try it, please let me know how you like it. And feel free to tag me @fANNEtasticfood on social media so I can see the meal in action!
Want more brunch deliciousness? Here are some ideas:
- Lemon Pancakes with Ricotta
- Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Tips for Super Fast Weekday Breakfasts
- Overnight Crockpot French Toast Casserole
- Almond Butter Banana Breakfast Bars
- Sausage Egg Casserole
- Crustless Quiche with Spring Veggies
- Savory Oatmeal
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
- 8 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1 cup milk
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Butter, as needed
- Optional toppings: arugula, sliced avocado, crumbled goat cheese, fried or soft-boiled eggs
- Whisk milk, eggs, parsley, thyme, granulated garlic, salt, and pepper together in a shallow dish.
- Heat a nonstick pan or griddle over medium heat with a small pat of butter.
- Working in batches, dip bread slices in egg mixture and let soak for about 30 seconds per side. Transfer the soaked bread to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes per side, until the french toast is browned and the center of the bread springs back when pressed.
- Serve the french toast topped with arugula, sliced avocado, crumbled goat cheese, and fried or soft-boiled eggs.