I’m excited to introduce a perfect Easter/spring recipe: healthy deviled eggs! They’re both gluten-free and high-protein, making for a universally-loved and nutritious appetizer.
Deviled eggs have always been a favorite of mine at parties, but I am not a fan of the fact that they’re usually drowning in mayo. So I set out to make a healthier but still tasty version.
It will be our little secret that they’re healthy. You won’t know the difference!
Pssst: have extra hard boiled eggs on hand? Try my Healthy Egg Salad Recipe (mayo-free, made with avocado)!
How to Make Deviled Eggs Healthier
The secret ingredient in these deviled eggs: Greek yogurt! It lightens up the deviled egg filling without sacrificing the delicious flavor.
Another slight change: I used dijon mustard as part of the mixture instead of yellow mustard. I find it adds a more robust and pleasing flavor. But these will still taste like your favorite traditional deviled eggs! And you can always swap out for yellow mustard if you choose.
Check out these other tasty picnic food ideas!
Toppings for Deviled Eggs
I love a quick shake of paprika on my deviled eggs. You can also up the spice factor with some cayenne pepper.
For more unique flavors, try one (or more!) of these topping ideas:
- finely chopped pickles (you can make your own from cucumbers for a no-sugar added version)
- smoked salmon
- thinly-sliced jalapenos
- herbs like thyme or dill
- curry powder
- hot sauce
You can even set up a deviled egg bar with a bunch of different toppings. That way, your guests can choose their favorite flavors!
Healthy Deviled Eggs Recipe
The full recipe is below!
You can make these ahead of time, but they’re better when you make them the same day you plan to serve them.
One quick note: when adding the mixture back into the hard-boiled egg halves, you can use a re-usable piping bag or a plastic bag with the tip cut off. This makes it easier to create that pretty spiral look!
Love healthy appetizers? Here are a few more recipes to try:
- The Best Healthy Seven Layer Dip
- Hummus Queso Dip
- Kale Artichoke Dip (vegan, gluten free)
- Lemon Avocado Hummus (vegan, gluten free)
- Pumpkin Bean Dip (vegan)
- Baked Stuffed Baby Bella Mushrooms
Here is the full healthy deviled eggs recipe:
- 6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and cut lengthwise
- 1/4 C plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- paprika to garnish
- First you need to hard boil the eggs! Place the eggs in a pot, add just enough cold water so that they are fully covered, and put on high heat. Add a little salt to the pot, too — it’ll make them easier to peel.
- Cover and bring them to a boil, then turn off the heat and let them sit, still covered, for 12 minutes. Then they are ready! I usually rinse them with some cold water and let them sit for a bit to cool them down first. You can also put them in an ice bath.
- Once they’ve cooled, peel them and cut them lengthwise.
- Place the whites on a plate and the yolks in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients (except for the paprika) to the yolks in the bowl, and mash it all together. If you would like the mixture to be smooth, use a blender.
- Once it is mostly uniform, add the mixture back into the empty egg whites, top with a sprinkle of paprika, and enjoy!