This spicy queso dip with hummus makes the perfect healthier tailgating appetizer recipe. It’s creamy and cheesy, with a kick of heat to spice things up!
Thank you to Sabra for sponsoring this post, originally published in 2015.
Healthy Queso Dip
It’s officially fall! That means many of you are now spending part of your weekends tailgating (or couch-gating). But tailgating food, while delicious, isn’t always going to leave you feeling your best.
So here’s something to nosh on that will also pack a bit more of a nutritional punch. You can amp up the health factor even more by serving it with veggies. 🙂 Crunchy bell peppers would be divine with this!
You guys know I’m a big hummus fan – it’s one of my favorite afternoon snacks and appetizers, too. Hummus is made by mashing up cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans) with tahini, oil, garlic, and spices, and its origin traces back to the 13th century Middle East. Chickpeas are packed with plant protein, fiber, iron, and B vitamins, and the oil and tahini (made from roasted sesame seeds) also add some healthy poly- and monounsaturated fats into the mix.
The secret to this dip is that it’s made extra creamy, a bit spicy, and more nutritious by the addition of hummus! Don’t worry – there’s still some cheese in there, too. 🙂
Spicy Queso Ingredients
This recipe is super simple! Here’s what you’ll need to make this spicy queso dip:
- Sabra Supremely Spicy hummus
- cheddar cheese
- diced tomatoes
- optional for serving: cilantro, chips, veggies
If you’re not into spice, you can use regular Sabra hummus instead of Supremely Spicy Hummus. You do you!
How to Make Homemade Queso with Hummus
This hummus-packed dip is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Plus, it’s really quick and easy to throw together!
Just heat the hummus and milk on the stovetop, whisking to stir, until it starts to boil. Then, Remove the mixture from the heat and slowly stir in the cheese a little at a time. Keep stirring until the cheese is completely melted and the dip is mostly uniform.
Lastly, stir in the diced tomatoes and serve! Just an FYI that it doesn’t save very well, though. The juice from the tomato will separate the creaminess some. So make and serve it right away!
The full spicy queso dip recipe is at the bottom of this post. Enjoy! For another delicious hummus recipe, check out this roasted beetroot hummus!
Want some ideas for packing more hummus into your life? Here are a few of my favorite recipes and tips:
- Creamy Hummus Mexican Brown Rice Casserole (sounds weird but it’s great)
- Smoked Salmon and Hummus Sandwich
- 4 Ingredient Quinoa Salad (easiest dinner or lunch ever)
- Add hummus to scrambled eggs to amp up the creaminess factor.
- Use hummus in place of mayo in tuna/chicken/egg salad (I love doing this!) or as a spread for sandwiches.
- Make a creamy salad dressing with hummus, lemon juice, and a splash of oil.
- Coat fish or chicken in hummus, then roll in breadcrumbs and bake. It will come out really juicy!
- Add hummus to baked potatoes or mashed potatoes for creaminess and extra flavor.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy hummus?
Spicy Hummus Queso Dip
This Spicy Hummus Queso Dip makes the perfect healthier tailgating appetizer recipe.
- 1/2 cup Sabra Supremely Spicy Hummus
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- For serving: cilantro, chopped tomatoes, chips/vegetables
- Whisk together the hummus and milk in a small pot. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese a little at a time until fully melted and incorporated.
- Stir in the tomato and serve immediately.