This Spicy Hummus Queso Dip makes the perfect healthier tailgating appetizer recipe. Thank you to Sabra for sponsoring this post!
It’s officially fall – and that means many of you are now spending part of your weekends tailgating (or couch-gating). Tailgating food, while delicious, isn’t always going to leave you feeling your best, so here’s something to nosh on that will also pack a bit more of a nutritional punch. You can amp up the health factor even more by serving it with veggies. 🙂
The secret to this dip is that it’s made extra creamy (and a bit spicy – you can use regular Sabra hummus instead of Supremely Spicy Hummus if you’re not into spice) and more nutritious by the addition of hummus! Don’t worry – there’s still some cheese in there, too. 🙂
You guys know I’m a big hummus fan – it’s one of my favorite afternoon snacks and appetizers, too. Hummus is made by mashing up cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans) with tahini, oil, garlic, and spices, and its origin traces back to the 13th century Middle East. Chickpeas are packed with plant protein, fiber, iron, and B vitamins, and the oil and tahini (made from roasted sesame seeds) also add some healthy poly- and monounsaturated fats into the mix.
This hummus-packed dip is really quick and easy to throw together and sure to be a crowd pleasure. Just heat and mix, then serve! Just an FYI that it doesn’t save very well, though – the juice from the tomato will separate the creaminess some – so make and serve it right away.
Here’s the full recipe. Enjoy!
- Creamy Hummus Mexican Brown Rice Casserole (sounds weird but it’s great)
- Smoked Salmon and Hummus Sandwich
- 4 Ingredient Quinoa Salad (easiest dinner or lunch ever)
- Add hummus to scrambled eggs to amp up the creaminess factor.
- Use hummus in place of mayo in tuna/chicken/egg salad (I love doing this!) or as a spread for sandwiches.
- Make a creamy salad dressing with hummus, lemon juice, and a splash of oil.
- Coat fish or chicken in hummus, then roll in breadcrumbs and bake. It will come out really juicy!
- Add hummus to baked potatoes or mashed potatoes for creaminess and extra flavor.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy hummus?