This healthy seven layer taco dip is seriously the best. It’s easy to make and so delicious!
Who can resist this beloved appetizer, with creamy layers of beans, cheese, tomatoes, guacamole, and even more goodness? Not me, that’s for sure! Fortunately, there’s a way to lighten up the classic recipe so it isn’t quite so heavy.
The secret? Using plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and mayonnaise! Your friends and family won’t even notice the difference… I promise. It’s a simple, delicious appetizer everyone will love.
Healthier Seven Layer Taco Dip
This is a super simple recipe. To make it, you’ll need:
- ripe avocados
- lemon juice
- plain Greek yogurt
- taco seasoning mix (you can find these pre-mixed packets at the grocery store)
- cans of bean dip or refried beans (or just make your own refried beans with canned black or pinto beans)
- green onions
- shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
If you’re in a hurry or you want to simplify this recipe even more, you can buy pre-made guacamole at the store instead of making it from scratch.
How to Make Seven Layer Taco Dip
Start by making the guacamole. Scoop the insides of your avocados (minus the pits) into a bowl, and combine with the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mash with a fork or spoon until mostly smooth. (You can also combine in a blender if desired).
Next, slice/chop the tomatoes, green onions, and olives. Prepare your refried beans if making from scratch. In a separate bowl, combine the Greek yogurt and the taco seasoning.
Now that your ingredients are all prepped, it’s time to assemble your dish. Spread the bean dip/refried beans on a large shallow pan or serving platter. Next, spread the guacamole over the top.
Dollop the yogurt-taco mixture on top of that, spreading until smooth. Sprinkle the chopped green onions, then tomatoes, then olives on top. Lastly, top with the shredded cheese.
Place in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Serve chilled with your favorite corn tortilla chips. Enjoy!
You’ll find the full seven layer taco dip recipe at the bottom of this post!
Want more ideas? Check out this post: Healthy Super Bowl Snack Recipes.
And here are a few more healthy dip recipes to try:
- Hummus Queso Dip
- Kale Artichoke Dip (vegan, gluten free)
- Lemon Avocado Hummus (vegan, gluten free)
- Pumpkin Bean Dip (vegan)
- 3 medium-sized ripe avocados
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 & ½ C plain Greek yogurt
- 1 package taco seasoning mix (or make your own mix using this recipe)
- 2 cans (9 oz. each) bean dip or 2 cans refried beans — or make your own, or just use canned rinsed/drained whole black or pinto beans!
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (optional)
- 3 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cans (3 ½ oz. each) pitted ripe sliced olives, drained (optional)
- 1 package (8 oz.) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Peel, pit and mash avocados in a bowl with lemon juice, salt and pepper (or put in blender). If you’re in a hurry and don’t have any ripe avocados, you can also substitute 2 containers of mildly seasoned guacamole dip from the refrigerated section at the grocery store.
- In another bowl, combine yogurt and taco seasoning mix.
- To assemble: Spread bean dip/refried beans on a LARGE shallow serving platter. Spread avocado mixture over bean dip. Spread yogurt-taco mixture over the avocado mixture. Sprinkle with the chopped green onions, then the tomatoes, and finally the olives. Cover with the grated cheddar cheese.
- Serve chilled with your choice of corn chips. Enjoy!