These Mediterranean sweet potato bites with hummus make a flavorful and easy appetizer! They’re perfect for summer (or holiday) entertaining, plus they’re gluten free and vegetarian.
These don’t require too much work, and everybody loves them! Plus, they’re so pretty and look fancy on a serving platter. 🙂
Thank you to Sabra for sponsoring this post, originally published in 2017!
Sweet Potato Appetizer Bites
When the weather warms up, one of my favorite things to do is dine al fresco with friends. Setting out Sabra hummus with veggies and crackers for dipping is always a hit, but it’s fun to switch it up sometimes too! Enter: these gluten free and vegetarian sweet potato rounds topped with savory hummus, tomatoes, basil, and feta.
Sabra offers a ton of different hummus flavors (I tried pretty much all of them at their headquarters in Richmond – I know, rough life), but their roasted garlic hummus works beautifully with all the Mediterranean flavors going on in these bites. Not a huge garlic fan? No worries – the less garlicky classic hummus will also do the trick. 🙂
To make this appetizer, you’ll need:
- hummus (I recommend classic or garlic flavors, but I’m sure other flavors would be tasty too!)
- sweet potato
- olive oil
- fresh basil
With just 6 ingredients, you’ve got an easy but impressive-looking appetizer that has the whole sweet-savory-salty thing going on. My kind of recipe!
Hummus also boasts plant protein, fiber, and iron, making this appetizer both nutrition-packed AND delicious. Win/win. 🙂
How to Make Sweet Potato Bites
These are simple to make and oh so tasty! Start by slicing the sweet potato into rounds, tossing with olive oil and salt & pepper, then roasting on a sheet pan until tender.
Then, in a separate bowl, toss together chopped tomatoes with feta, basil, and olive oil. Spread a spoonful of hummus over each sweet potato round, then place a small amount of the tomato mixture on top. That’s it: you’re ready to serve!
The full sweet potato bites recipe is at the bottom of this post. You know my favorite kinds of recipes are the flexible ones, and this one fits the bill – don’t stress about exact measurements, it’s hard to mess this one up. 😉
Check out some of my other favorite recipes for summer entertaining, too!
- Spicy Hummus Queso Dip (another Sabra recipe!)
- Healthy Deviled Eggs
- Salmon with Lemon Mustard Dill Sauce
- Lemony Spinach Quinoa & Bean Salad
- Strawberry & Fennel Barley Salad
- Healthier Seven Layer Dip
- Watermelon Rosemary Popsicles
What’s your favorite way to use hummus for entertaining? Do you like to get creative or stick to the classic hummus & dippers?
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch rounds (my sweet potatoes were about 6" long and cut into ~10 slices each)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper, as needed
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Toss the sweet potato slices with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet and roast for about 20-25 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, toss together the tomatoes, feta, basil, remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Spread a small spoonful of hummus (~1 teaspoon or so) onto each sweet potato round, then top with about a tablespoon of the tomato mixture and serve!