This Instant Pot butternut squash soup is comforting, full of fall flavors, and super nutritious.
It’s a perfect pre-Thanksgiving dinner soup or light fall meal that’s packed with veggies you won’t even know are there. Creamy, dreamy, and luscious!
By the way, if you’re looking for more Thanksgiving inspiration, check out my Best Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes post for all my favorites.
Butternut Squash Soup with Apple
This is such a satisfying and cozy fall soup. The recipe doesn’t need butter or cream because butternut squash is so creamy by itself!
It’s super quick and easy to make, especially because the Instant Pot does most of the work. There’s a great mix of sweet and savory thanks to all the veggies, spices, and apple/apple cider. And, it’s naturally vegan and gluten-free. (Though there are some extra garnishes you can add if you aren’t vegan, which I’ll mention below… like bacon).
It makes a fantastic Thanksgiving starter, and I love that it uses a pressure cooker instead of taking up prime real estate on the stove. You don’t even have to roast the butternut squash ahead of time, because the Instant Pot will do it for you! Plus, it’ll make your home smell like pure autumn bliss.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients
To make this soup, you’ll need:
- butternut squash (peeled, seeded, and diced – my squash was about 2 pounds and yielded about 4 cups diced squash)
- apple (any crisp variety with some sweetness and tartness should do: honey crisp, fuji, granny smith, etc.)
- vegetable broth (I recommend low sodium!)
- apple cider
- fresh sage
- smoked paprika
This recipe calls for peeled, seeded, and diced butternut squash, but to save time, you can also use canned butternut squash.
I’ve also found fresh pre-peeled, seeded, and cubed butternut squash at the store. When you’re prepping for a big Thanksgiving meal, every minute saved can go a long way, right?
Feel free to add extra toppings to your heart’s content, such as cooked bacon for a savory crunch or plain Greek yogurt for tangy creaminess. Pumpkin seeds or fresh sage would also make great garnishes.
How to Make Butternut Squash Soup in an Instant Pot
Start by heating your Instant Pot on the ‘saute’ function. Toss in a drizzle of olive oil, along with the chopped onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes (until the onion is translucent).
Add in the diced butternut squash, vegetable broth, apple cider, and spices and stir. Place the lid on your Instant Pot and set the venting nozzle to ‘seal’. Using either the manual or soup setting, set to high pressure for 8 minutes.
Once finished, allow the steam to release by turning the nozzle to ‘vent’. Once the steam has released, remove the lid and carefully pour the soup into a blender. Blend until smooth or reaches desired consistency. (Or, leave the soup in the Instant Pot and use an immersion blender to directly blend soup).
Add additional seasonings to your liking, and serve with desired toppings/garnishes. This soup is delicious on its own, but if you want to make it a heartier meal, serve with crusty bread or a side sandwich.
You’ll find the full Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup recipe at the bottom of this post. Enjoy!
Looking for more yummy Instant Pot recipes? Try these out:
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Farro Risotto with Spring Veggies
- Spaghetti Squash & Vegan Bolognese (Instant Pot)
- Instant Pot Quinoa Fried Rice
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- Maple Mustard Chicken Thighs (Instant Pot)
Want more comforting soup inspiration? Here are some faves:
- Easy Minestrone Soup (Healthy & Vegetarian)
- Chicken White Bean Chili
- Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
- Cantaloupe and Avocado Soup
- Lentil Chili With Sweet Potatoes
- Butternut Squash Turkey Chili
- Crockpot Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste
- Optional garnishes: cooked bacon, plain Greek yogurt, pumpkin seeds, fresh sage
- Heat the instant pot on the "saute" function. Add the oil, onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the squash, apple, broth, cider, and spices to the pot.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and make sure the venting nozzle is turned to "seal." Using the manual or soup setting, set to high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Once finished, turn the nozzle to "vent" and allow all steam to release.
- Carefully remove lid and transfer soup to a blender. Blend until smooth. Alternately, keep soup in the instant pot and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Adjust seasonings to taste and serve with toppings if desired.
Feel free to garnish with cooked bacon, plain Greek yogurt, pumpkin seeds/pepitas, or fresh sage.