We are on a huge Mediterranean food kick at our house right now.
For the past month or two we’ve had a variation of this Mediterranean Sheet Pan Chicken Thighs meal once a week. The proteins change, and the veggies are mixed up, but the briny olives, salty feta, and chewy orzo are non-negotiable.
A squeeze of lemon always brings a meal like this from good to awesome.
We’ve made some variations of this on the stove, but since sheet pan recipes are basically the best ever because you can prep it and forget it, I figured my official blog recipe needed to incorporate a sheet pan!
(psst: Love sheet pan meals? Check out this blog post for more inspiration: mix + match sheet pan dinners.)
This sheet pan Mediterranean Chicken Thighs meal takes a little while to cook, but the beauty is that once you’ve chopped your veggies and tossed them on the pan, the rest is all hands-off.
The other beauty of this meal?
Not into chicken thighs? No worries, try chicken breasts.
Not into chicken? Salmon would be delicious here, too – just bake it for less time.
Want different veggies? You do you!
Peppers would be a delicious addition or alternative to the zucchini and onion.
To get this meal going, simply chop up your veggies and place them on a sheet pan with your chicken.
(Or, depending on the size of your sheet pan and how soft you want your veggies to be, use two sheet pans!)
Drizzle everything with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, oregano, garlic, and a pinch of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Toss it together until evenly coated, arrange everything in a single layer, and then bake!
At about the 35 minute mark (once the chicken is browned), sprinkle the olives and feta into the pan and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
You can enjoy as is or serve atop orzo or another grain.
Either way, enjoy!
Here’s the full recipe.
Please let me know how you like it!
- About 2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced (about 2 heaping cups zucchini slices)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, to taste
- whole wheat orzo and lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Place chicken and vegetables on a sheet pan. Sprinkle with oregano, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a pinch each of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Toss everything together until seasonings coat the chicken and veggies, then arrange into a (mostly) single layer on the sheet pan.
3. Bake chicken and veggies for 35 minutes, until chicken skin is nearly golden brown.
4. Sprinkle the olives and feta evenly over the pan. Continue cooking for 5 more minutes, until the chicken skin is deep golden brown, the chicken is cooked through, and the veggies are tender.
5. Serve over whole wheat orzo with lemon wedges to garnish.
Want more sheet pan recipe inspiration?
In addition to my mix + match sheet pan recipes blog post, here are a couple others to try: