As a follow up to yesterday’s post with all my eating stats, I thought I’d share some of my favorite tips for feeling satisfied and eating healthy. These tips have made all the difference for me!
- Eat REAL food. Throw away diet products, fake sweeteners, and processed food that will not make you feel full. Read the list of ingredients on a package. If you don’t understand all the ingredients… don’t buy it!
- Eat foods that give you lots of volume and nutrients for fewer calories — for example, add lots of fresh veggies (spinach, grated carrots for crunch, etc.) to your sandwiches, or decrease the amount of pasta you eat and mix in fresh veggies instead to bulk up the volume. You won’t notice the difference I’m also a fan of plain yogurt with fresh cut up fruit instead of sweetened yogurt. More bulk is good!
- Drink LOTS of water. Bring a reusable water bottle with you everywhere and sip from it all day. Being hydrated helps your body run better AND helps you feel more satisfied (thirst can often be mistaken for hunger!)
- If you are hungry, EAT! Letting yourself get too hungry just sets you up to overeat at your next meal and will always make the candy jar look more appealing. On the other hand, if you are just bored, go take a walking break, have a chat with some coworkers, or distract yourself with a huge glass of water or some tea.
- Prepare, prepare, prepare! I bring healthy snacks with me everywhere, and I always pack a big lunch for work with lots of different parts (makes it more fun to eat when there’s variety!). Then you’ve always got a healthy option on hand when hunger strikes — no vending machines necessary! I’m much more tempted to eat something junky if I don’t have a healthy option on hand.
- Eat a variety of foods. Both within each meal (meals are more fun and filling when you have different components), and throughout the day. Aim for lots of color in each meal!
- Ditch the sodas and sugary drinks. They add up to lots of calories and won’t keep you full. Wouldn’t you rather have some real food for the same amount of calories as a sugary drink? To wean yourself off soda, try mixing seltzer or fizzy water with a bit of natural, no sugar added fruit juice (like POM!).
- Make healthy swaps. A favorite of mine is nonfat plain yogurt instead of mayo, as seen in my Autumn Chicken Salad, Tuna Salad, and Healthy Deviled Eggs recipes! I also use applesauce instead of oil when baking
*Check out the comments section of my post from yesterday — there were some great questions and answers!
And now.. it’s GIVEAWAY time!
At the beginning of the semester when I received the information for my diet analysis project, I was wondering how I was going to track everything since I didn’t own a food scale. Literally a week later, I received an email out of the blue from the VP of EatSmart Products, asking if I was interested in reviewing their EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale for the blog! Perfect timing, right?!
I’m happy to say this scale is great! It’s small and compact, holds up to 11 lbs or 5 kg, and can measure weight in grams, kilograms, pounds, or ounces.
This scale was perfect for my diet analysis project — it was great having the option to weigh everything instead of having to guesstimate or worry about smushing things into measuring cups. My only complaint about the scale is that grams aren’t measured out to a decimal place!
This scale will also be really helpful for following European recipes or anything that gives amounts in grams!
Would you like to win an
of your very own?
There are three ways to enter; each way will give you an additional entry, so you can do one, two, or all three!
Here are your entry options:
- Leave a comment about a healthy change you’ve made recently or one of your favorite tips for healthy eating and feeling satisfied.
- Tweet about this contest on Twitter (include a link to this post and @fannetasticfood), and then leave another comment telling me you tweeted.
- If you have a blog, mention and link back to this contest in one of your posts, and then leave another comment letting me know you posted about it.
U.S. residents only, please. The contest will run until Monday, March 22 at 5:00 p.m. EST, when I’ll randomly select and announce the winner!