I’ve got something good for you guys this morning — another healthy on-the-go bar recipe!
I hadn’t done any baking in forever and yesterday was in the mood to come up with something creative. A short while later, these were born.
I’m all out of whole wheat pastry flour (my favorite), so I decided to get creative and create a gluten-free/higher protein bar variety. These are made using quinoa and ::drumroll:: garbanzo bean flour! Yes, I’m serious. And they’re good, too! Just don’t taste the batter. Raw garbanzo bean flour = nasty tasting. Trust me.
Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Quinoa Bars
Makes 10 bars
These bars are easy to make, high in protein, and perfect when you need a quick, healthy, on-the-go snack. Delicious, too! Slice and store wrapped individually in tin foil for easier grabbing and go-ing.
- 1 & 1/2 C cooked quinoa
- 1 C chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- 1/4 C ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 C skim/low fat milk (or non-dairy substitute)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C dark chocolate chips
Note: You’ll need to either have some leftover cooked quinoa on hand, or cook some up before you start this recipe. One cup cooked quinoa is equal to roughly 1/4 cup uncooked. Prepare with water according to the instructions on the box. Be sure to let the quinoa cool afterwards.
Preheat your oven to 350.
1) In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients. In a separate smaller bowl, mix wet ingredients, except for chocolate chips.
2) Add wet to dry, stirring gently until mixed. Add in chocolate chips and mix.
3) Poor batter into a baking pan — I used my 7Ã—11 pan (about 2 inches deep), but you can use whatever size you have.
4) Pop it in the oven and bake about 28 minutes — fork check to make sure they are done.
Whenever I make bars, I cut them up right away (well, after sampling them, obvi) and store them in the fridge wrapped in tin foil. Perfect for easy grabbing and going later when I’m inevitably running late.
Want more healthy on-the-go bar recipes? Check out my other favorites:
- 5-Minute No Bake Peanut Butter Granola Bars (vegan)
- Almond Butter Banana Breakfast Bars (vegan)
- Cranberry Quinoa Peanut Butter Power Bars
- Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Granola Bars