Last night, I was craving pumpkin. I wanted something comforting and warm, but light enough to fit the summery weather outside. This was the perfect end-of-summer-almost-into-fall dish :)
Simple, nutritious, and delicious — just how I like it :)
Early Fall Pumpkin Quinoa (vegan)
(makes 3 servings)
- 1 C cooked quinoa (I used red; regular is fine)
- 1 baby bok choy, chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped
- Olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder (divided)
- 3/4 C water
- 1 C pumpkin
- 3/4 tsp. coriander
- Salt & cracked pepper to taste
1) Start by cooking your quinoa as directed on the package.
2) While the quinoa is cooking, sautÃ© your veggies! I sautÃ©ed the bok choy and asparagus on medium heat in a drizzle of olive oil and 1/4 tsp. of garlic powder.
Continue to sautÃ© until the veggies are soft (only takes a few minutes).
3) Reduce the heat to low, then add in your cooked quinoa!
4) Mix it all up, then add in the water and the pumpkin.
5) Finally, add in the remaining garlic powder (1/2 tsp.) and the 3/4 tsp. coriander. Stir it all up and makes sure it’s heated through, then add salt and cracked pepper to taste.
Mmm. The coriander seriously made this dish. It might be my new favorite spice! Although… cumin will always have my heart ;)
Enjoy! I love making big meals like this because I have leftovers to enjoy for quick lunches or dinners later this week :) Yum!
In other news, I’m continuing to get settled here in Chapel Hill! I absolutely love that everyone in my program is social and organizing all sorts of fun activities all the time. Plus, it’s awesome that a lot of them like to work out as much as I do. Having workout buddies is so key! Last night, I went to an AMAZING 90 minute power yoga class (so hard!) at Franklin Street Yoga with my classmate Libby, and this morning I went for another great combination trail/street run with the same girls from Saturday!
We did 4 miles, starting at 7 a.m. I love morning runs because I feel so accomplished the rest of the day :)
Speaking of running — I’m heading over to Charlotte this weekend for a sleepover party and 5k race with miss Caitlin! I’m excited :) I’ve actually only done two 5k’s before — they were my very first races in 2006 and 2007! It’s been all 5 milers, 10ks, 10 milers, and my half marathon since! My 5k PR from 2007 is 25:42 (an 8:17 pace). I’m hoping to blow that out of the water on Saturday :)
(Yep, totally keep all my old race bibs! Do you?)
Today is my day off from classes, so I’ll be spending the day doing some more unpacking, getting some homework and reading done, and getting my hair highlighted at the Aveda Institute! It’s a training school and super cheap. Here’s hoping they don’t make my hair orange ;)
Have a good one!