Looking for a healthier (but still delicious) version of the classic Seven Layer Dip appetizer? Look no farther.
The secret? Using nonfat plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and mayonnaise! Your friends and family won’t even notice the difference… I promise.
Healthier Seven Layer Dip
- 3 medium-sized ripe avocados
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 & ½ C nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 package taco seasoning mix (or make your own mix using this recipe)
- 2 cans (9 oz. each) bean dip or 2 cans refried beans — or make your own!
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (optional)
- 3 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cans (3 ½ oz. each) pitted ripe sliced olives, drained
- 1 package (8 oz.) grated sharp cheddar cheese
1. Peel, pit and mash avocados in a bowl with lemon juice, salt and pepper (or put in blender). If you’re in a hurry and don’t have any ripe avocados, you can also substitute 2 containers of mildly seasoned guacamole dip from the refrigerated section at the grocery store.
2. In another bowl, combine yogurt and taco seasoning mix.
3. To assemble:
- Spread bean dip/refried beans on a LARGE shallow serving platter.
- Spread avocado mixture over bean dip.
- Spread yogurt-taco mixture over the avocado mixture.
- Sprinkle with the chopped green onions, then the tomatoes, and finally the olives.
- Cover with the grated cheddar cheese.
4. Serve chilled with your choice of corn chips.
Want more ideas? Check out this post: 7 Healthy & Delicious Super Bowl Snack Ideas.