Here’s your guide to the perfect bowl of oats… without dirtying a single pot or pan!
If you think you don’t like oatmeal (or think you don’t like anything besides sugary instant oatmeal), give this a try. The banana is the key – as is using milk instead of water. I promise you’ll love it!
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 C rolled oats (or 1/3 C if you want to add a lot of toppings)
- 1/2 C lowfat milk (or dairy substitute – again, use 1/3 C if you want to add a lot of toppings)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Toppings as desired (berries, ground flaxseed, nuts/seeds, coconut, nut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.)
1) Mash a ripe banana into a microwave safe bowl. The super ripe banana is the key to oatmeal — it makes it nice and sweet (the riper the banana, the sweeter it is!) and gives it a fun texture!
2) Top the banana with the oats, milk, and cinnamon. I never make my oatmeal using water. Milk makes it much tastier and will keep you full longer, too, due to the extra protein!
3) Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes, stopping once halfway through to stir.
4) Add desired toppings and enjoy!
Tip: if using frozen berries, add them before you cook the oatmeal.
Some topping combinations I love:
- berries + nuts or seeds (slivered almonds, pecans, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc!)
- berries + 1/2 C cottage cheese or plain Greek yogurt
- fresh sliced peach + walnuts or pecans
- 1 Tbsp. nut butter
- Shredded coconut
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal (click for recipe)