This recipe for perfect microwave banana oatmeal is your guide to the perfect bowl of oats… without dirtying a single pot or pan!
If you think you don’t like oatmeal (or think you don’t like anything besides sugary instant oatmeal), give this a try. The banana is the key – as is using milk instead of water, which makes it much creamier and more delicious. I promise you’ll love it!
Perfect Microwave Banana Oatmeal
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 C rolled oats (or 1/3 C if you want to add a lot of toppings)
- 1/2 C milk (or dairy substitute – again, use 1/3 C if you want to add a lot of toppings)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Toppings as desired (berries, ground flaxseed, nuts/seeds, coconut, nut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. – see below for ideas)
Instructions: 1) Mash a ripe banana into a microwave safe bowl. The super ripe banana is the key to oatmeal — it makes it nice and sweet (the riper the banana, the sweeter it is!) and gives it a fun texture! 2) Top the banana with the oats, milk, and cinnamon. I never make my oatmeal using water. Milk makes it much tastier/creamier and will keep you full longer, too, due to the extra protein! 3) Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes, stopping once halfway through to stir. If applicable, stir in any frozen berries at the halfway point. Fresh fruit can be added once the oatmeal is finished cooking. 4) Add desired toppings and enjoy! Some topping combinations I love:
- berries + nuts or seeds (slivered almonds, pecans, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc!)
- berries + 1/2 C cottage cheese or plain Greek yogurt (see this post for more details: My Favorite Breakfast)
- fresh sliced peach + walnuts or pecans
- 1 Tbsp. nut butter
- Shredded coconut + walnuts or pecans
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal (click for recipe)
- High protein oatmeal (click for recipe)