These Easy Salmon Brown Rice Cakes with Fresh Salsa make a delicious, fast, healthy, and inexpensive lunch or dinner that comes together in minutes! Thank you to Chicken of the Sea and Minute® Ready to Serve Rice for sponsoring this post in anticipation of National Salmon Day on October 8.
As you know, I’m all about meals that come together quickly. Even though I have a food blog, the last thing I want to do is spend hours and hours in the kitchen cooking – and I know you guys probably feel the same way! So, here is another fast and easy recipe that will have you eating a yummy, healthy meal in minutes.
I’m a huge fan of shelf-stable seafood and microwave plain brown rice – one of my favorite easy but healthy meals is throwing both on top of greens with some salad dressing, veggies, and avocado and calling it a day. But I thought it was time to mix it up with a Mexican variation – and something a bit prettier looking in photos, too. 🙂
These Mexican-themed salmon brown rice cakes are fresh and flavorful, but the recipe utilizes some of my favorite convenient shortcut ingredients like Chicken of the Sea Skinless and Boneless Pink Salmon and Minute® Ready to Serve Brown Rice to save on time! Even tighter on time? Feel free to purchase pre-made salsa, too!
This meal would also be a great one to feed to a non-seafood lover that wants to eat more omega-3 packed salmon without tasting it – the Mexican seasoning is what you taste, not the salmon! And your kitchen won’t stink of salmon for days, either. 🙂
Making this recipe is easy as can be. Simply mix all the (non-salsa) ingredients in a bowl (no need to cook the rice first!) then form into patties and cook on a hot skillet for 3 to 4 minutes per side. While the salmon brown rice cakes are cooking, throw together your fresh salsa (or open a jar of salsa), et voila! That’s it.
All that’s left is to enjoy! Serve as-is or atop greens or microwave wilted spinach – and don’t forget the salsa “dressing”!
Here’s the full recipe – let me know how you like it!
For the rice cakes
- 2 pouches Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon (5 oz each)
- 2 containers uncooked Minute® Ready to Serve Brown Rice (1 package - 8.8 oz)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour (or regular/whole wheat flour, or ground flaxseed)
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
For the salsa
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- zest and juice of one lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all cake ingredients in a large bowl, mix until well combined.
- Using wet hands (to prevent sticking), divide the mixture into 6 patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with a thin layer of oil or nonstick spray. Carefully transfer the patties to the skillet with a spatula.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown, crispy around the edges, and firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, combine all salsa ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Serve cakes warm, atop greens and with salsa. Enjoy!
Want to participate in National Salmon Day on October 8, too? First, make this salmon brown rice cakes recipe. 🙂 And then, here are some other ideas! Also, as a random aside for my local readers – Chicken of the Sea ranked Washington D.C. among the Top 10 Salmon Cities in the United States, which means that DC residents eat more fresh and shelf-stable salmon per person than their counterparts in other U.S. cities. Yum – I definitely contribute to that statistic! 🙂
- From September 25- October 8, Chicken of the Sea is partnering with the maker of Minute® Rice for the “Salmon Loves Rice Sweepstakes.” Use hashtags #NationalSalmonDay #Sweeps on social media for a chance to win a 7-day Alaskan cruise and Chicken of the Sea and Minute Rice products!
- Join @COSMermaid and Andie Mitchell (@andiemmitchell) for a #NationalSalmonDay #Sweeps Twitter Party on October 7 at 1 p.m. EST to win salmon and other fun prizes!
- Chicken of the Sea offers a variety of salmon products including: Skinless & Boneless Pink Salmon (EZ-Open pull-tab cans coming this fall), Smoked Salmon and Flavored Salmon Pouches. And to pair with that salmon for an easy portable meal, Minute® Ready to Serve Rice comes in new varieties such as Brown & Quinoa and Basmati Rice, as well as Brown Rice, Brown & Wild Rice, Multi-Grain Medley, Jasmine Rice, White Rice and flavorful mixes. A list of all Minute Rice varieties can be found here.
- Find more salmon recipe inspiration at www.chickenofthesea.com/salmon and on their Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram pages.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy shelf-stable salmon and/or minute brown rice?