These easy canned salmon patties with brown rice and fresh salsa make a delicious, fast, healthy, and inexpensive lunch or dinner that comes together in minutes!
Technically, the salmon used here comes from a packet (rather than a can), but it’s essentially the same thing: pre-cooked, packaged salmon that’s shelf-stable, saves a ton of time, and is full of nutrients.
Brown Rice Salmon Cakes with Salsa
As you know, I’m all about meals that come together quickly. Even though I have a food blog, the last thing I want to do is spend hours and hours in the kitchen cooking – and I know you guys probably feel the same way!
So, here is another fast and easy recipe that will have you eating a yummy, healthy meal in minutes. It’s the best of both worlds!
I’m a huge fan of shelf-stable seafood and microwave plain brown rice. One of my favorite easy but healthy meals is throwing both on top of greens with some salad dressing, veggies, and avocado and calling it a day.
But I thought it was time to mix it up with a Mexican variation – and something a bit prettier looking in photos, too. 🙂
These Mexican-themed canned salmon patties are fresh and flavorful, but the recipe utilizes some of my favorite convenient shortcut ingredients like Chicken of the Sea Skinless and Boneless Pink Salmon and Minute® Ready to Serve Brown Rice to save on time! Even tighter on time? Feel free to purchase pre-made salsa, too!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- canned/cooked salmon
- brown rice
- rice flour
- seasonings: chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin
This meal would also be a great one to feed to a non-seafood lover that wants to eat more omega-3 packed salmon without tasting it. The Mexican seasoning is what you taste, not the salmon! And your kitchen won’t stink of salmon for days, either. 🙂
How to Make Salmon Patties
Making this recipe is easy as can be!
Simply mix all the (non-salsa) ingredients in a bowl (no need to cook the rice first, as long as you’re using Minute Rice!). Then, form into patties and cook on a hot skillet for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
While the salmon cakes are cooking, throw together your fresh salsa (or open a jar of salsa), et voila! That’s it.
All that’s left is to enjoy! Serve as-is or atop greens or microwave wilted spinach – and don’t forget the salsa “dressing”!
Sides for Canned Salmon & Brown Rice Cakes
These salmon patties would taste delicious with:
- Seasoned Sweet Potato Fries (Baked)
- Quinoa Taco Salad
- Crunchy Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Herb & Garlic Roasted Vegetables
- Kale Caesar Salad (Vegan)
You’ll find the full canned salmon patties recipe at the bottom of this post. Let me know how you like it!
What’s your favorite way to enjoy shelf-stable salmon and/or minute brown rice?
Looking for more salmon recipes? Check these out:
- Lemon Dijon Sheet Pan Salmon Dinner
- Orange Glazed Salmon with Honey & Ginger
- Smoked Salmon Breakfast Casserole
- Hummus Toast with Smoked Salmon & Soft Boiled Eggs
- Roasted Salmon with Watermelon Salsa
- Baked Pesto Salmon with Veggies
For the rice cakes
- 2 pouches Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon (5 oz each)
- 2 containers uncooked Minute® Ready to Serve Brown Rice (1 package - 8.8 oz)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour (or regular/whole wheat flour, or ground flaxseed)
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
For the salsa
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- zest and juice of one lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all cake ingredients in a large bowl, mix until well combined.
- Using wet hands (to prevent sticking), divide the mixture into 6 patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with a thin layer of oil or nonstick spray. Carefully transfer the patties to the skillet with a spatula.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown, crispy around the edges, and firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, combine all salsa ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Serve cakes warm, atop greens and with salsa. Enjoy!
- Chicken of the Sea offers a variety of salmon products including: Skinless & Boneless Pink Salmon, Smoked Salmon and Flavored Salmon Pouches. And to pair with that salmon for an easy portable meal, Minute® Ready to Serve Rice comes in new varieties such as Brown & Quinoa and Basmati Rice, as well as Brown Rice, Brown & Wild Rice, Multi-Grain Medley, Jasmine Rice, White Rice and flavorful mixes. A list of all Minute Rice varieties can be found here.
- Find more salmon recipe inspiration at www.chickenofthesea.com/salmon and on their Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram pages.