This portable gluten free and vegan granola bars recipe was originally published back in 2012, but has since gotten a photo and content update and was worth giving some new love!
These granola bars are super easy to make, nutrition packed, and absolutely delicious.
Make a batch of these vegan and gluten free granola bars to keep on hand for the week. Or better yet, double the recipe and freeze half for later! They make excellent travel buddies – or cubicle buddies. 😉
Vegan & Gluten-Free Granola Bars
Do you guys prefer chewy or crunchy granola bars?
I’m fully on team chewy, which is probably why I really love these bars. They have an awesome chewy texture and aren’t too sweet, but they have a lot of great flavor.
They also won’t fall apart on you like crunchy granola bars. Because who wants half their granola bar to be in the their lap rather than their mouth? Not cool.
The other thing I love about these bars is that they are seriously satisfying.
Whenever I make homemade granola bars, the key is to make sure they have lots of protein, fiber, and healthy fats, because otherwise they won’t have much staying power!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s what you need to make this recipe:
- maple syrup
- almond butter
- chickpea flour
- cranberries (or other dried fruit)
- ground flaxseed
These are packed with a ton of nutritional superstars: walnuts, nut butter, oats, chickpea flour, and ground flaxseed. You will not be hungry again an hour later after enjoying one of these bad boys!
These are super easy to make: a quick mixing sesh and into the oven they go.
How to Store Homemade Granola Bars
Once the bars are out of the oven and cool, I suggest slicing them into bars and wrapping them up individually in foil for easier grabbing and going later in the week.
They will last longer if you store them in the fridge, but don’t worry about them being in your bag all day long. They don’t need to stay refrigerated.
Below is the full recipe for my vegan granola bars.
Please let me know how you like them and tag me @fANNEtasticfood on social media so I can see what adventures you’ve gotten up to with these bars in tow!
Interested in more granola/snack bar recipes? Here are a few other faves:
- 5-Minute No Bake Peanut Butter Granola Bars (vegan, gluten free if you use GF certified oats) — one of my most popular recipes on the blog!
- Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Granola Bars (whole wheat)
- Dark Chocolate Quinoa Bars (gluten free)
- Chocolate Bliss Balls with Cashews (vegan + gluten free)
- Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bars
- Healthy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies (vegan)
- 2 Tbsp flax meal + 6 Tbsp warm water
- 1 & 3/4 cups oats*
- 1 cup chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries (or raisins/cherries)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts*
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (omit if you use salted nut butter)
- 1/2 cup almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flax meal with the warm water and set aside to “gel.” This is the vegan equivalent of two eggs!
- In a large bowl, mix oats, chickpea flour, cranberries, walnuts, cinnamon, and sea salt. In a separate smaller bowl, mix nut butter with maple syrup, then add the flax/water mixture, which should now have gelled, and stir again.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry. Pour into a greased square or rectangular baking dish (mine is 11x7 but slightly smaller would be better) and bake 15 to 18 minutes, until top is golden brown. Allow to cool, then cut into bar shapes.
*If you need to recipe to remain gluten free, be sure to buy gluten free certified oats and walnuts — they are both naturally gluten free but often contaminated in processing.