Hi friends! It has been ages since I’ve done a what I buy when I grocery shop post, so I thought I would mix it up today and share what I picked up on my Monday night trip to Whole Foods. For fresh stuff, I prefer going to Whole Foods since the quality of the produce (and meat/seafood) is so good. When I need to get a lot of pantry items and canned goods, I’ll usually hit Giant instead because it’s cheaper. I also sometimes mix it up and go to Trader Joe’s!
On Monday, here’s what I picked up in terms of produce. Baby spinach, microgreens, guacamole (the best), avocadoes, limes, cilantro, a green pepper, grapes, and frozen wild blueberries and frozen cubed sweet potato (good for tossing into stews).
On the grain-ish front, I picked up a couple packages of 90 second plain brown basmati rice, plain Ezekiel bread + Ezekiel cinnamon raisin English muffins (both in the freezer section), a Kit’s Organic Peanut Butter bar (love these – they are made by Clif), a couple apple spice Chia Pods (so tasty as a snack or easy light breakfast), another Tandoor Chef Channa Masala to keep in the freezer in case of emergency, and some frozen quinoa with vegetables to keep on hand for lazy nights, too. If you add beans it would be a solid meal! My random impulse purchase was the Engine 2 whole grain morning blend – I’ve never tried this before but though it looked fun. 🙂 It was in the frozen foods area near the fruit.
On the dairy/animal product front, normally I would have gotten milk and eggs, but we already had some, so I stuck with yogurt. A few Fage yogurts, a Siggi’s coconut (I love their ginger yogurt but haven’t tried this one yet – sounded good), and a couple Blue Hill yogurts that sounded amazing and also had good ingredient lists. Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato?! Yum! Hope they are as good as they sound!
I also picked up some feta (makes it betta), an organic rotisserie chicken (which went into making my Mexican Lasagna), and a few cans of beans. The kidney beans and the black beans were for the lasagna, too.
So there you have it! What I bought on Monday night. Obviously this isn’t an all inclusive list of things I’d want on hand for the week to put together a healthy meal because we already had some stuff on hand. Other things I buy often that I didn’t buy on Monday:
- milk, cottage cheese, eggs
- bananas (if we are out of bananas, life is very sad)
- oranges, kiwi, etc. – whatever fruit looks good
- other canned beans (chickpeas, lentils, etc.) – to go on my lunch salads
- broccoli slaw (great on salads or in wraps/on sandwiches)
- microwave string beans <—awesome
- crackers (I like the Blue Diamond artisan nut thins)
- canned tuna
- canned tomato sauce (to make my Saucy Tomato & Artichoke Chicken!)
- quinoa, barley, etc.
- whole wheat/grain or quinoa pasta
- salsa, pasta sauce
- olive oil, lemons, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard – for my homemade balsamic vinaigrette
- garlic (for all the things)
- canned beets (I’m normally too lazy to make them fresh)
- chia seeds/ground flaxseed (for my Flour Free Breakfast Pancake)
- nut butter
- almond milk for baking/smoothies
- whole/chopped nuts (to top my Perfect Microwave Banana Oatmeal) and to snack on
- more snack bars (Larabar, Kashi nut + seed bars, etc.)
For a trip down memory lane, check out the two previous grocery shopping posts I wrote – the first in 2011 and the second in 2013! It hasn’t changed much. 🙂
- What I Buy When I Grocery Shop – 2011, when I was in grad school in Chapel Hill
- What I Buy When I Grocery Shop part 2 – in 2013, back here in the DC area
- What’s a cool new to you product you discovered lately at the grocery store?
p.s. I’m honored to have been quoted in a great Washington Post article yesterday: 5 Ways to Fight the Winter Holiday Bulge. Happy to see they went with a mindful/intuitive focus!