Thank you to Bolthouse Farms for sponsoring this post!
If you’ve ever spent more than 30 seconds on Pinterest (hi, let’s be friends on there, too), Tastespotting, Foodgawker, or any similar sites, then you know that there is some serious Food Porn happening on there – and on the rest of the internet – mostly in the form of bacon, cheese, and lots and lots of sugar.
You guys know I’m all about moderation – one day I might eat a burger and fries, the next I might be feeling a kale and chickpea salad – but while I love my bacon and cheese, too, I do feel bad for my old friends fruits and veggies on the internet. I mean, as far as food porn is concerned, fresh produce is losing out big time.
Back in February, Bolthouse Farms launched the fun and interactive Food Porn Index website as a way to explore the #FoodPorn phenomenon that is taking place as people share their food online. The index, which updates every 15 minutes, uses an algorithm to track how many times certain food hashtags are used on Twitter and Instagram. Neat, right? What they’ve found is no surprise – fruits and veggies are underappreciated in social media. Let’s see what we can do to change that, shall we? 🙂 Fruits and veggies are worthy of food porn status, too, and the more we can do to encourage sharing of food photos that inspire people to eat healthy, the better!
What do you think are the most photogenic fruits or veggies? Here are a few I think are particularly beautiful!
1) Sweet potatoes! Even my healthy baked Mexican-Style Sweet Potato Fries look quite lovely, don’t you think? 🙂
2) Just to be random, let’s go with kumquats! Kumquats look like tiny little oranges (they’re the size of cherry tomatoes), and they really brighten up a dish. Here’s my Zesty Kumquat Quinoa Salad. 🙂 I feel like in general, salads are usually very photogenic – lots of colors!
3) Berries! All berries. They’re beautiful. 🙂
4) Farmer’s market anything. This photo is from a market in France from my trip this summer. Yum!
5) Fresh herbs. Not technically a veggie, I know, but fresh herbs as a garnish always make healthy dishes look more beautiful!
So, what do you guys think are the most photogenic fruits or veggies? I’ll also give pumpkin an honorable mention here, given that we’re rapidly approaching pumpkin season (yesssss!!). 🙂
If you want to chat more about what type of food photos inspire you to get healthy, I’m co-hosting a #FoodPornIndex Twitter chat with @BolthouseFarms on next Tuesday, September 9th at 9 p.m. EST! There will be prizes and fun conversation – I hope you’ll join us!
Until then, if you need a little break from work or to chill out a little, click on the individual foods on the Food Porn Index site! They each take you to a cool interactive experience. I loved the Guac-A-Mole game the Carrot Keyboard – so fun!
Okay one more – the Melon Meditation had me cracking up. “Cantaloupe is a weird name for a melon.” Lol!
Aaaaaanyway. Hope to see some of you guys on Tuesday for the chat! 🙂 Have a great day, friends, and happy healthy eating!