I have a new favorite healthy fall recipe. Perfect for the holidays, too! Introducing: whole wheat pumpkin biscotti with Goji berries!
This recipe is comforting and healthy at the same time. A winning combination in my book! It’s got those fabulous fall flavors we know and love, plus tasty Goji berries for a little something special.
Healthy Pumpkin Biscotti
I’d forgotten how awesome biscotti is until I made this a couple weeks ago, just for fun. Lattes and hot tea are just that much better when biscotti is by their side, don’t you think?
Even better is that this biscotti, while delicious, is also whole wheat, lower in sugar than normal biscotti, and packed with some great nutrients from the pumpkin and dried goji berries! Goji berries are full of antioxidants – perfect for cold season. And pumpkin is always a win, let’s be honest.
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Biscotti Ingredients
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- pureed pumpkin (canned)
- dried Goji berries (or chopped pecans or dried cranberries – whatever you have/prefer!)
- whole wheat pastry flour (make sure it’s pastry flour and not regular whole wheat flour, otherwise these might turn out too dense – if you can’t find pastry flour, white whole wheat flour or regular all purpose flour will work instead!)
- vanilla extract
- ground cloves
- baking powder
And if you already have a pumpkin spice mix from the store, you can substitute that for the spices here if you want!
How to Make Healthy Biscotti
Start by pre-heating your oven to 350 degrees F. In a big bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix. In a separate bowl, whisk all wet ingredients (except the Goji berries) together.
Next, mix the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients until the batter is uniform. Add in the Goji berries and stir gently to combine.
Then, grease a baking sheet (or add a layer of parchment paper). Form the dough into a loaf shape and place on the sheet.
Bake about 20-25 minutes, until the center is firm. Once done, remove the biscotti from the oven and let cool. Hang on, because we’re not quite done yet!
Next, reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F. Once the biscotti is cool, slice it into 1-inch thick cookies. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes. Then remove, let cool, and enjoy!
These would make a great holiday gift, don’t you think?
Wrap them up in a mug or clear decorative bag, tie it up with ribbon, and you’ve got a DIY holiday gift everyone will love!
You’ll find the full whole wheat pumpkin biscotti recipe at the bottom of this post. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Looking for more fall baking treats? Check these out:
- Vegan Oatmeal Cookies with Pumpkin
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins (or Bread)
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
- Sweet Potato Muffins Recipe with Coconut
- Spiced Butternut Squash Muffins
- Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins
- Cranberry Yogurt Scones
What’s your favorite flavor of biscotti?
- 2 & 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (don’t use regular WW flour)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup liquid egg whites (or 2 egg whites)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup goji berries (optional – dried cranberries would also work)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients except for the goji berries.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, mixing until uniform. Add goji berries and gently mix.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray; form dough into a loaf shape and place on sheet.
- Bake until center is firm (about 20 to 25 minutes); remove from oven and cool. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- Once cool, slice into 1-inch thick cookies; bake 15 to 20 additional minutes at 300 degrees. Enjoy!