Quick Meal Ideas + How to Make a Smoothie More Satisfying

Good morning, friends! After all my running in Miami and my great track workout yesterday I decided my legs needed a break from exercise today. Sleeping in until nearly 8 (!!!) was so glorious.

For breakfast, since we are all out of bananas (the horror!) I wasn’t able to make my two favorites (Perfect Microwave Banana Oatmeal or Flour Free Breakfast Pancake), so I decided to throw together a green smoothie.

Into the blender I threw: spinach, frozen mixed berries, whole milk, ground flaxseed, cinnamon… and a shot of espresso for good measure. ;)

Normally I prefer almond or coconut milk in smoothies for added flavor, but we’re out of that right now, too, so real milk it was! (I prefer real milk in oatmeal and coffee, though – tastes so much better!) Clearly it’s time to hit the grocery store…

Anyway! The key to making a satisfying smoothie is to make sure that it includes some protein and healthy fat in addition to the carbs from fruit. If you’re using real milk, that’s enough protein, but if you’re using something like almond milk that’s low in protein, you’ll want to add either a protein powder or some Greek yogurt or something else with some protein in it. Healthy fat will also help to make the smoothie satisfying – I really like nut butter and seeds in smoothies, or you can toss some avocado in there – it’s really good and creamy in smoothies!

how to make a smoothie more satisfying

Yum. Here are a few of my favorite smoothie recipes here on the blog:

While I was making the smoothie, I also threw together some more nut butter snack ball type things – love these. The key is not bothering to measure anything so you don’t get measuring spoons/cups dirty… just sayin’.

This will be delicious no matter the measurements, I promise. I threw a few HUGE spoonfuls of PB into the bowl, plus some hefty shakes of cinnamon and coconut, some chopped (if you chop them it helps everything to stick together better) dried cherries and a few handfuls of rolled oats. Mush it all together with your hands and form into balls. Then enjoy licking the remainder off your hands. Mmm!

I popped them into the freezer when I was done. Now Matt and I have something easy to snack on this week!

On the dinner front, earlier this week I made a really easy veggie-packed stir fry of sorts.

easy veggie stir fry

When you don’t know what to make, toss some garlic and olive oil in a pan, add any random veggies you have on hand and a can of beans (rinsed/drained)…

Sauté until the veggies are soft et voila! Dinner is served. I threw the mixture on top of some 90 second brown rice, and added some fun seasonings too – dried dill, parsley, oregano… basically whatever I saw in front of me. Plus a little salt/pepper to taste. I used Brussels sprouts, asparagus, and bok choy as my veggies, and cannellini beans as my beans. Those red things are sun dried tomatoes, just for fun/color.

And now, work awaits.

Have a happy day!

p.s. I got a bunch of rhubarb from From the Farmer last week – and I have no idea what to do with it. I know it makes great pies and such, but I’m looking for super duper simple/easy ideas. Thoughts?

Comments

I really need to make snack balls … and my bf would like your not getting anything dirty idea, since he does the dishes after I meal prep ;)

Now I’m craving a smoothie!

Michelle says:

I received rhubarb from a neighbor last yr. I made a rhubarb sauce to go over fish. Also there are rhubarb chutney recipes you could pair with turkey cutlets. That’s a pretty quick & healthyvoption option as well. I will admit I also made myself some rhubarb crisp last year but I invited friends over so I only ate a small portion because I probably could eaten the whole pan!!

Emily B says:

Yum Rhubarb!! We got some from our farmer’s market this past weekend and I used it to make a Rhubarb-BQ sauce. A bit sweet and tangy and it goes really well with grilled chicken! I like the unusual parring because like you I’ve always had it in a desert type of dish

Charline says:

mmm, Rhubarb!
    quick chop it, add flour and sugar, top with crumble topping, and bake…
    or
    chop small and add to muffins

Alexa Smith says:

I had stewed rhubarb in Ireland and it was AMAZING! Just like pie filling, and great on yogurt (and i’m sure on ice cream too). Not sure how to make it but I assume you just cook/boil it? Google will know.

Coconut milk in smoothies sounds really good. I should try that next time!

So many greenss!!! So pretty, so pretty!

Everything about this post is delicious!!

My dad is a huge rhubarb fan, and it has grown on me over the years. I cook it down with some sugar and use it as a fruit topping on yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. Or, I’ve got a quick bread recipe on my blog!

I’m obsessed with rhubarb crumble. Any recipe works (I love the one from the Joy of Cooking), just remember that rhubarb cooks down more than you think and it can be sour, so lighten up the sugar in the topping but taste test the rhubarb itself. Strawberries are a great pairing, if they’re in season (or frozen).

My mother-in-law just stews it and serves it with yogurt and that’s pretty delish too.

Dominique says:

Definitely check out Smitten Kitchen’s strawberry rhubarb crips bars: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2014/05/strawberry-rhubarb-crisp-bars/ simple and very tasty! Her recipes never fail and she has a lot more with rhubarb in her archives.

I grew up eating rhubarb out of my granny’s garden. Just peel it, sprinkle some salt on it, and eat it!

I’ve never really liked smoothies but I want to try them out again, perfect timing with this post!

Those snack balls are such a great idea! They are a perfect snack to take with me when I’m on the go!

I’ve never tried making snack balls with no measuring before… love it!! Everything else looks delicious as well!

Rhubarb Strawberry Smoothies!! The best, and just the right amount of tart!

That’s a great smoothie combo and it’s the way I base my smoothies as well–enough satisfying protein, fat, and fiber!
    I also love your go-to meal idea. I’ll do something similar–look in the fridge to see what produce needs to be used, think of a protein to go with it, then cook it all up!
    Sorry, can’t help you on the rhubarb front. I’ve actually never even had strawberry rhubarb pie…

Stew it down or roast it serve…with roast edstrawberries and layer up with coconut cream, add it to a smoothie (coconut milk and strawberry combo with almond butter!), add it to your oats, serve on top of your favourite pancake, freeze it once cooked if you don’t think you’ll use it all…or why not make a salsa!!!

I’ve mean meaning to put some protein balls together, but I’m out of PB right now < horror! Those looks good with oats and dried cherries!

but in all seriousness- that does suck when you are out of frozen bananas haha

Kristen says:

Curious if you have a favorite protein powder you could recommend? I eat very little meat and dairy, so I’ve been thinking about adding protein powder to my smoothies just to cover my bases. As I’m sure you would too, I want to avoid ones that are filled with scary ingredients!

I am all about the guessing instead of measuring out for smoothies and some recipes! Smoothies are so great right now with this gorgeous weather!

I love rhubarb! Yesterday I made these bars from Smitten Kitchen — very easy and turned out great.

I love rhubarb!! I always stew it up with a little bit of sugar, you don’t need any water as the rhubarb breaks down with a fair bit of liquid while cooking, it only takes about 5-10 minutes to cook in a pot. I usually stew it with other fruits (apples, pears, strawberries) and then keep in the fridge for the week to put on top of my porridge (oatmeal to you Americans!) or muesli (granola!). It is also a yummy dessert – sprinkle some crushed biscuits/cookies on top with a bit of butter and brown sugar, put in the oven til it crisps, then serve with yogurt or icecream!

Roadrunner says:

Clearly gotta get a smoothie machine!

Great post.
    What blender are you using?

I love snack-ball type things!! :) And you’re right…not measuring is the KEY!

This is my favorite rhubarb baking recipe- maybe you can adapt it?

Hi..tried your nut butter balls..had some trouble with it all sticking together so I added some unsweetened almond milk and they came out awesome!! I also added some flax, sunflower and pumpkin seeds!

Jessica says:

My family has a great coffee cake recipe with chopped rhubarb in the batter and then a delicious cinnamon/brown sugar crumble on top…mmmm….

I’ve seen a few recipes out there for rhubarb ice cream as well, which sounds AMAZING!

I have alway wanted to cook with rhubarb so I’m excited to see what you come up with! I dont have any great recipes suggestions besides pairing it with strawberries= amazing combination!

Devon M says:

Here’s a great and easy recipe I found to use my rhubarb in! You just mix together 4 stalks of rhubarb (washed and cut into bite size pieces), the juice from 3 oranges, 1/2 cup water, and 4 tbsp of maple syrup. Then you bake the mixture at 350 degrees for 30 minutes! You can serve it over greek yogurt or oatmeal! Yum!

Your recipes look delicious! I notice my smoothies are a lot more filling when I add protein and fat too. I love adding peanut butter. Haven’t tried adding avocado yet – I’ll have to try that next.

roxanne says:

This recipe looks like an amazing way to use rhubarb! I haven’t tried it yet but I plan on it soon!