I was served these while staying at the Tabor House Inn in Vermont. They were so good I asked the inn’s owner, Jennifer Bright, for the recipe! They make a great bite-sized appetizer.
Recipe adapted from the Silver Palate cookbook.
- 20 Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 oz. frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 1 oz. feta cheese
- 1 oz. gruyere cheese (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh or dried dill (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1) Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet. Add onions and cook until light brown – about 25 minutes.
2) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3) Add walnuts and garlic to onion and cook for another minute. Add spinach and cook another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
4) Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add cheeses, salt and pepper.
5) Arrange mushrooms in baking dish. Divide filling mixture evenly among them. (At this point the mushrooms can be covered and stored for several hours in the fridge until your guests arrive, if necessary!)
6) Bake about 10 minutes or until filling is browned and mushrooms are thoroughly heated.
7) Serve immediately!
For more details about my stay at the Tabor House Inn, check out this post.
For another great stuffed mushroom recipe that can be served as an entree, check out my Stuffed Portobello Mushroom recipe!