Enchiladas gone healthy — yogurt instead of sour cream and half the amount of cheese. Still delicious. Enjoy!
Healthy Chicken Enchiladas (Gluten-Free!)
Adapted from: Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
Yield: Serves 4-6
- 3 C cooked chicken, hand torn
- ½ C canned chopped green chilies
- ¾ C nonfat plain yogurt
- Juice from 1 fresh lime
- ½ tsp. cracked pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 C enchilada sauce (see recipe below)
- 10 large white or yellow corn tortillas (or wheat tortillas — not gluten-free)
- Extra virgin olive oil or cooking spray, as needed
- ¾ C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
Preheat oven to 350.
1) In a large bowl, mix together the cooked chicken, chopped green chilies, yogurt, lime juice, cracked pepper, and cumin. Set aside.
2) Make your enchilada sauce, recipe and directions below.
Enchilada Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled, diced finely
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-oz. can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 splash of balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Enchilada Sauce Instructions: Heat the olive oil for one minute in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add in the onion, garlic, and spices; saute for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, and cilantro; stir and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 20 minutes.
3) Lightly oil/cooking spray a 13 x 9 baking dish. Spread a thin layer of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of the dish.
4) Set the first tortillas into the baking dish. Spoon one tenth of the chicken mixture into the center of the tortilla and roll it up, placing the seam side down. Repeat for the remaining tortillas.
5) Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the tortillas and sprinkle with shredded cheese and cilantro.
6) Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, until cheese is melted, sauce is bubbling, and enchiladas are hot.
7) Serve warm with salsa, hot sauce, or guacamole, if desired.
Check out the original post for lots more photos/commentary: Easy Yogurt Chicken Enchiladas.