Freezing asparagus is a great way to save extras for later. But did you know you can cook frozen asparagus in the oven (instead of steaming or microwaving)? It’s actually very easy, and you don’t even have to defrost it first!
Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies: it’s both tasty and versatile. It can be served on its own, alongside other roasted veggies, in a frittata, in pasta, or even in a salad. (I’ll go over some meal inspiration later in the post.)
It’s a great veggie to have on hand, and even more convenient when you freeze it, because it lasts longer than in the fridge. And yes: frozen veggies are just as nutritious as fresh ones!
(See also: How to Love Veggies)
How to Cook Frozen Asparagus
Roasting frozen asparagus is a delicious alternative to steaming or microwaving it – and much yummier, in my opinion. This keeps it from getting too soggy or losing its flavor.
Plus, it’s super easy and the prep work is minimal. Can’t say no to that, right?!
Here are the main steps:
- Spread the frozen asparagus on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper (don’t thaw it first!)
- Toss with oil + seasoning (you can also add a pinch of red pepper flakes for a little heat)
- Roast in the oven until cooked through and crispy
You can find the full recipe at the end of this post. But lots of different seasonings taste great on asparagus, so feel free to switch it up!
Recipe Ideas for Asparagus
If you’re looking for some inspiration to round out your meal, here are a few of my favorite recipes to eat with roasted asparagus:
- The Easiest Baked Salmon Recipe
- Crustless Quiche Recipe with Veggies & Goat Cheese
- Mix & Match Pasta Recipes
- Chimichurri Grilled Shrimp Recipe
- Instant Pot Maple Mustard Chicken Recipe
For more veggie recipes, check out these posts for instructions + inspiration:
- How to Roast Frozen Vegetables (+ Recipe Ideas!)
- How to Roast Frozen Broccoli
- 5 Ways to Encourage Infants to Eat More Vegetables
- How to Cook Frozen Brussels Sprouts
- How to Cook Frozen Cauliflower
Here’s the full recipe/instructions for how to cook frozen asparagus. Enjoy!
- Frozen asparagus
- Olive oil, as needed
- Desired seasonings (salt, pepper, and garlic powder are my staples!)
- Fresh lemon zest (optional)
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spread frozen asparagus in a single layer on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Do not thaw first!
- Drizzle veggies lightly with oil, then sprinkle with desired seasonings. Toss to coat.
- Roast asparagus for 15 minutes (or more if needed), until fully heated and slightly browned.
- Optional: squeeze lemon juice over veggies for extra freshness!
What’s your favorite dish to eat with asparagus? Let me know in the comments!