This creamy peanut sauce stir fry features plump shrimp, crunchy peanuts, tasty veggies, and optional brown rice noodles for a super easy, healthy dinner!
You can easily mix and match proteins or different veggies, based on what you have on hand. If you don’t have shrimp, this would be just as tasty with chicken. Or, feel free to swap the shrimp out for tofu if you’re vegetarian, and you can use brown rice noodles (or just regular brown rice) if you’re gluten-free!
Shrimp Stir Fry with Peanut Sauce
Peanut butter fans rejoice: this creamy peanut-y stir fry sauce is the best. It’s packed with flavor, without being overpowering. I’d drizzle it on everything if I could.
Another thing I love about this recipe (and stir fries in general): the veggies are cooked at a high heat, so they keep a lot of their flavor and crispiness. I love my veggies lightly browned around the edges.
The whole meal comes together in under 30 minutes, so it’s perfect for a quick throw-together dinner! It’s filling, tasty, and savory with a hint of sweetness. And, aside from a jar or bowl to mix up the sauce, all you need is one pan to make it. The fewer dishes to clean, the better!
Stir Fry Ingredients
To make this peanut sauce stir fry, you’ll need:
- raw shrimp (peeled & de-veined)
- broccoli (be sure to cut into small florets for easier/quicker cooking)
- bell pepper
- sesame oil (or canola oil)
- peanuts (optional)
- brown rice noodles (cooked – these are optional) or brown rice
And for the sauce:
- peanut butter (all-natural peanut butter is the way to go)
- soy sauce (I recommend low-sodium soy sauce. Also, if you’re gluten free, be sure to get a gluten-free soy sauce.)
- rice vinegar
- minced/grated ginger
Again, the beauty of stir fries is that they’re so versatile! Toss in different veggies like cabbage, edamame, or sweet potatoes for a delicious variation.
How to Make Peanut Sauce Stir Fry
Start by prepping your peanut sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together until smooth. (If your peanut butter is thick, pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds first.)
Next, drizzle a little sesame (or canola) oil into a large skillet or wok. Cook the shrimp over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, until no longer translucent (they should turn pink and opaque). Remove shrimp and set aside on a plate.
Drizzle a little more oil in and toss in the veggies. (For the broccoli, I like to microwave it for 1-2 minutes with a little water to steam it before stir-frying.)
Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender. This should take about 5-7 minutes, depending on how soft vs. crispy you like your vegetables.
Turn the heat down to medium. Then, toss the shrimp and the sauce into the pan. If using brown rice noodles, cook them ahead of time and add them to the pan at this point, too. (If you’re having brown rice, you can simply cook it separately and serve the stir fry on top of it.) Stir well for a couple minutes, allowing the sauce to coat everything.
And there you have it: a delicious bowl of noodles, crispy veggies, and tender shrimp slathered in creamy peanut sauce! You’ll find the full recipe at the bottom of this post. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to check out my other mix and match stir fry recipes, too!
What’s your go-to quick weeknight meal? Let me know in the comments below!
Looking for more easy & healthy dinner ideas? Check these out:
- Lemon Dijon Sheet Pan Salmon Dinner
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Tomato Garlic Pasta with Ground Turkey
- Greek Orzo Salad with Shrimp & Feta
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Sriracha Sauce
- Saucy Chicken with Artichokes and Tomatoes
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas (+ Gluten Free Option)
- Sheet Pan Asian Salmon with Veggies
- Sage Butter Pasta with Chicken Sausage
For the stir fry base:
- 1 lb raw shrimp (peeled & de-veined)
- 1 package brown rice noodles (pre-cooked)
- 1/2 onion (thinly sliced)
- desired vegetables (broccoli - cut into small florets, sliced mushrooms, sliced bell pepper, etc.)
- sesame oil (or canola oil)
- peanuts (optional)
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons minced/grated ginger
- Combine peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, and ginger in a small bowl or jar. (If the peanut butter is thick, microwave for 30 or more seconds until drizzly). Whisk until smooth.
- In a large skillet or wok, drizzle sesame (or canola) oil and cook shrimp over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, until no longer translucent. Remove and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pan and add chopped vegetables. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5-7 minutes until just tender.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Add shrimp and pre-cooked brown rice noodles to the pan, along with the sauce. Stir well for 1-2 minutes, until sauce is evenly incorporated. Add peanuts if desired and serve.
If you prefer your broccoli less crispy, you can par-cook it in the microwave with a splash of water for 1-2 minutes before stir-frying them in the pan.