Hey guys – happy Friday! Before I get into today’s post, here are some previous posts you might enjoy as we make our way into October tomorrow:
- Healthy Recipes for Fall (featuring pumpkin, butternut squash, cranberries, apple, and sweet potato recipes!)
- Pumpkin Muffins or Bread of Deliciousness
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- 33 Healthy + Delicious Pumpkin Recipes
- I’m actually going to be in town this weekend – I know, madness! I’m looking forward to a long run that doesn’t involve working all day after it, plus some fun social time with friends and family.
As for this week, we’ve had some yummy dinners. I was testing out a new recipe for the blog (a green tea Mediterranean quinoa – recipe coming soon!), so we enjoyed that with some grilled chicken earlier this week. Yummy!
We had some leftovers so I immediately packed them up into a portable lunch for the next day. I pre-cut the chicken so it would be easy to eat without a knife, and threw it all on top of some arugula for a little extra volume and texture.
Plus an orange and an almond butter Perfect Bar for snacks. I also ended up snacking on some roasted chickpeas that were already in my bag!
I enjoyed some more of the quinoa salad last night with my friend Sokphal! She’s having some tendonitis issues and is taking a breather from running – so I had her over for dinner instead! We had some fish (that I marinated in a little garlic olive oil and lemon juice and then baked for 14 minutes at 400 degrees F) with the quinoa salad on the side.
Plus fresh pineapple that Sokphal brought with her for dessert. 🙂 Yummy!
On the fitness front, on Tuesday I enjoyed a nice lunchtime yoga class (at Epic Yoga in Dupont) via ClassPass (<- affiliate link for $30 off). Wednesday morning, Chelsea and I hit up 9Round via ClassPass – it’s a fun interval kickboxing workout. Only 30 minutes too so it goes by quickly!
Yesterday morning, I met up with my track group! My first run since the 20 mile training run on Monday. It was POURING rain when I woke up and I almost bagged it but then I thought to myself: “Would I still show up if it was raining the morning of the Marine Corps Marathon?” Duh, of course I would. So, I decided to stop being a wimp and get out there already. Only four of us showed up, and it was raining really hard so our coaches just had us do a straightforward tempo run – 25 minutes – rather than the previously planned hill repeats. It wasn’t my fastest tempo run thanks to the wind and rain but I felt good out there and was glad I made the push! I probably did about 50 minutes of running total between my warm up, workout, and cool down.
Tips for running in the rain:
- 1) Wear a hat so rain doesn’t get in your eyes.
- 2) Wear spandex shorts or tights vs. regular shorts – avoid that inner thigh chafing situation!
- 3) Wear fitted clothes. Loose clothing gets REALLY heavy when wet; baggy stuff may even fall down. No bueno.
- 4) Have fun! Pretend you’re a kid. It’s fun playing in the rain! 🙂
- 5) When you get home, take out the insole of your shoes – the shoes will dry more quickly that way!
I’ve got a shorter long run (you know you’re marathon training when… your coach tells you to do a 14 miler and you think: “sweet! a “short” run!” <—insane) on the agenda for this weekend before amping back up to 22 miles for my last intense long run next weekend!
Speaking of Marine Corps Marathon – check out this fun little stats round up that I found in Arlington Magazine this month… crazy that the entry fee was originally $2!
Last but not least on the fitness front, I also had another great mobility and stretching session with Paul from Capital Energy Training this week! (Just a reminder we are doing a training/blog exchange so my sessions are free – but we are paying for Matt to work with him now because he’s awesome.) It felt especially good after running so far on Monday… I was SO TIGHT.
Matt has been doing some mobility work with Paul related to soccer but has also been doing a lot of upper body strength/boot camp type stuff. Matt’s like, “Oh, so all I have to do is run 20 miles and then Paul will go easy on me in our sessions?!” Ha!
As for today, I’m enjoying a rest day. 🙂 Tomorrow’s plan is yoga… and then Sunday I’ll be tackling that “shorter” long run with my track buds!
Have a fabulous weekend, guys!
Links I loved from around the web:
- Eat: Sweet Potato Toast 4 Ways (never heard of this – brilliant!) // 5 Ingredient Pumpkin Protein Balls
- Move: Runners See the Real Morocco During Mountain Marathon (so cool!!) // Why You’re Not Getting Results From Your Workout Routine // Total Body Bosu Workout // The Jack-ed ‘O Lantern Pumpkin Workout (literally working out with a pumpkin – lol!)
- Think: So You’ve Tried Everything, and Nothing Has Worked // The FDA is Finally Going to Update the Term “Healthy” (about time…)