This delicious Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Peanut Butter will be your new favorite breakfast – or snack!
It’s low sugar, made without oil or butter, and full of nutritious & tasty ingredients. I love to eat it topped with extra peanut butter and banana slices, but it’s delicious on its own, too!
Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Peanut Butter
There’s nothing better than moist banana bread in the morning. It goes great with coffee, it’s easy to make ahead, and it’s a great way to use up those browning bananas!
(Pssst: here’s some more recipe inspiration if you have leftover over-ripe bananas.)
This whole wheat banana bread recipe is quick and easy to make, and extra delicious. It’s ready to pop into the oven in just 10 minutes, so it’s mostly hands-off. And because it’s not drowning in sugar, the banana and peanut butter flavors stand out even more.
How to Make Whole Wheat Banana Bread
First, to make this recipe, you’ll need:
- whole wheat pastry flour (or regular all-purpose flour/white whole wheat flour)
- brown sugar
- ground flaxseed
- baking powder
- creamy peanut butter
- ripe bananas
- vanilla extract
Start by preheating your oven to 350. In one bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
Then, pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir gently until the mixture is mostly uniform. (Optional: you can fold in some chopped walnuts or chocolate chips here for even more flavor and texture!)
Pour the mixture into a non-stick (or cooking sprayed) bread/loaf pan. (Mine is 9×5). Sprinkle oats on top to make it look pretty.
If you want to add a cinnamon swirl, sprinkle some cinnamon on top of the mixture and swirl it around with a toothpick.
Bake for 1 hour. Do a fork or toothpick check near the end to test if it’s done. It should come out clean if the bread is ready!
Once it’s ready, let cool on a wire rack. Once cool, simply slice, wrap in foil or plastic wrap, and store in the fridge for up to a week. Or, you can freeze it (I recommend pre-slicing, so it’s easier to quickly toast) for later! Just place the individually-wrapped slices into a freezer/zippable bag.
I love being able to grab a slice and toast it up for a quick and wholesome breakfast or snack. It’s totally kid-friendly, too!
- 1 & 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour (or regular all-purpose flour, or white whole wheat flour)
- 3/4 C oats
- 1/3 C brown sugar (or 1/2 C if you like your bread sweeter)
- 1/4 C finely ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 & 1/4 C whole milk
- 1/3 C creamy peanut butter (I used salted)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 large very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In two separate bowls, mix dry, then wet, and then combine, adding wet to dry and stirring gently until the mixture is uniform-ish.
- Pour mixture into a non-stick or cooking sprayed bread/loaf pan (mine is 9x5) and sprinkle oats on top to make it look pretty.
- Bake 1 hour — do a fork check near the end to test done-ness. Enjoy!
If you love chocolate, here’s another banana bread recipe I’d recommend: chocolate chunk vegan banana bread.
And here are some similar muffin and bread recipes to try from my blog: